Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The last headphones you'll ever put on

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067FCS/jasonsego

I change suits more often than Agent J, but one thing I won't change is the headphones I use for my Pocket PC. Someone asked me what I used today, so I thought this was good timing to tell you about the Sony MDR-EX70LP's (who the heck names these products for Sony anyway?). Ignoring the name, these headphones are absolutely the most stunning ear bud headphones I've used (they even eclipse the Bang & Olufsen headphones a friend gave me). Bass response exceeds my Sony big-ol' DJ-style headphones, and the clarity of the audio is stunning.

I was listening to a song by DC Talk and in the intro there's a very subtle right-panned guitar riff that until now, I had never heard before. If your headphones expose you to the music in a new way, they're doing their job. One of my favourite songs of all time is "Absolutely Anytime" by the Watchman (awesome two-CD set), and I know every nuance of that song - the headphones reproduced the audio as cleanly as my breathtaking Klipsch speakers. That is no mean feat. And because these headphones fill your ear cavity, they have a nice side effect of blocking out external noise - perfect for use on a plane. The above affiliate link is for Amazon - I looked around and every place seemed to have them for the same price: $49.99.

Two caveats here: the headphone case Sony gives you sucks (I need to find something better). And those 64 kbps MP3 and WMA files might suddenly sound a lot worse - be prepared to re-encode your audio if you have discriminating ears. But if you want to hear things the way they were meant to be heard, 128 kbps WMA or 192 kbps MP3 is the way to go with headphones like this. These Sonys have my absolute highest recommendation - they outshine every other set I've reviewed, including the expensive Sennheiser.

"In celebration of the 20th Anniversary of Sony's Fontopia Ear-Buds, Sony presents the MDR-EX70LP 20th Anniversary Fontopia�Headphones. Featuring Sony's First Closed-Type of Fontopia Design, the MDR-EX70LP comes complete with new Super-Small 9 mm Drivers, Soft Silicon Earbuds including two different sizes, an Ultra-High-Power Neodymium Magnet, and a New Case Design. Celebrate in style -- we play the music that makes you GROOVE on the move."

� Fontopia� Headphones in-the-ear design
� Sony's first closed-type Fontopia design
� New, super-small 9 mm drivers
� Soft, silicon earbuds

Old 07-24-2002, 04:39 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

1. Those Klipsch Speakers, didn't they kill Pocket PC Thoughts at one time ?

2. I have both the Sony's and the Bang and Olufsen. I agree that the sound quality of the Sony is better than the Bang and Olufsen. The major plus I see in the B&O is that they fit my ears like a glove, and I don't even notice I have them in. And the sound quality is very good (although not so good as these Sony's). When I have the Sony's in, I find myself fidgeting with the headphones all the time. But every other person I know that tries the Sony headphones is very happy with the fit as well, so I guess I simply have funny ears.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:03 PM
gmelfissg
Pupil
Default Are you sure ?

Hi Jason,

Have you ever try the koss porta pro headphone ?

If you did how does it compare because those koss are very very very good !!!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:17 PM
MaGNuS_Z
Neophyte

I have the same earphones, well i have the EX-70SL which are the Japanese version. There are designed for minidisc with a very small cord (for plugging into remote) and an extension.

They are the best earphones i have ever listened to! Even better than over-the-ears headphones that cost twice as much.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I use a pair of Sony MDR-G52 headphones. They sound great, but they are a little awkward to wear.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
teschall
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to teschall

Have'em - love 'em! There small, sound great and are *really* comfortable.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:37 PM
timmy
Intellectual
Default Re: The last headphones you'll ever put on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
these headphones are absolutely the most stunning ear bud headphones I've used (they even eclipse the Bang & Olufsen headphones a friend gave me).
Since you obviously don't use the B&O's anymore, why not send them to me... :wink:

I have some Sony MDR-something with volume control bought for $20, but they sound pretty OK, probably due to the fact that I use 64kb WMA's

/Timmy

Old 07-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

I agree with everyone, those earbuds kick ass, but for those of you who are on a budget, there is a cheaper verison out there that does a decent job as well that's made by Koss called "The Plug." Same kind of design with a sound dampening material that fills the cavity in your ear. I've known some people eschew the stuff they give you and poke holes into industrial ear plugs to fit the drivers for the Plugs for an even better effect.

I found mine at HMV but Amazon also sells them for less than half the cost of Sony's model. If you're an audiophile, go for Sony, but if you've got a budget, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Koss' offering!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:57 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

I am thinking of getting these. http://www.planetminidisc.com/mdr-nc11.html

Old 07-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I know I told you about these several months ago, probably before I started posting here as a contributor.

And on pure 64KB WMA's, not those transcoded from MP3's, they sound fine to my ears. I hear sounds I don't hear on my car audio system from the original CD.

If you find a decent case, let us know. What they give you is pathetic at best.