Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Yakumo PDA alpha PocketPC 2002

http://www.yakumo.de/produkte/index.php?pid=1&ag=PDAs&lang=2

Markus Grombein sent us an email about a new Pocket PC that he found - and it looks pretty boring to be honest. The spec list is fairly standard: 207 mhz StrongARM, 64 RAM, SD slot, 1000 mAh battery. It's quite light at 143 grams, and only 13.8 mm thick, so I don't know why they claim it "almost fits into your pants pocket". The lack of game pad tells me they're going after the PIM market, not the gaming market. The real story here may be the price, but I can't seem to find one. I'm always happy to see another company making Pocket PCs, because it helps to expand the market, but even the high-res photo make me yawn. But if they sell it for 200 euros, that will perk me up. We'll see!

"With this small and fast PC that almost fits into your pants pocket, you always have your data ready to hand. Whatever you need to know while you on the road - addresses, tasks, dates or e-mails - the pocket versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook make these informations quickly available to you. It is light as a feather (only 143 g) but extremely strong with its 206 MHz StrongARM processor. You can operate it up to 8 hours with a rechargeable battery. The powerful LCD color display also allows you to use it outside."

Old 07-19-2002, 03:41 PM
markus
Neophyte

Jason, but you know that 200 Euro are about 200 US$ ...!? An standard Pocket PC under 500 Euro (as I said it will cost 469 Euro) sounds OK to me... Or do you know a Pocket PC under 400 Euro?
Markus

Old 07-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus
Jason, but you know that 200 Euro are about 200 US$ ...!?
Yup, I'm aware of the exchange rate. I suppose even 300 euro would be a good price - my point was that with the very basic hardware, I hope they're going after the budget crowd. If this comes out at 500 euros, it will tank - there's nothing unique or even competitive about it. Price is the only playing card they have...

Old 07-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Steven Cedrone
Default Re: Yakumo PDA alpha PocketPC 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
The spec list is fairly standard: 207 mhz StrongARM,
Cool, all of the others are only 206 Mhz :wink:

Steve

Old 07-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Paragon
Magi

I noticed that their "Standardmerkmale" includes "Seitliche Bl�tter-Funktion" I hope there is a fix for that. It could be embarassing during a meeting

I really think these guys need to leard how to spell. They are worse than me. :-)

I also noticed that "Ein/Ausg�nge" is only "Erweiterungssteckplatz f�r MMC Memory Cards" Hmmm this thing better be cheap if it's only expansion is MMC cards.

Dave

Old 07-19-2002, 05:35 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default No DPAd?

I thought Microsoft dictateda directional pad in the bottom center of every PocketPC 2002 device... this one does not even have one!

Old 07-19-2002, 07:03 PM
gwinter
Intellectual

It was announced sometime ago. Finally available now.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ighlight=vobis

More you say? Here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...pic.php?t=2306

Old 07-21-2002, 05:11 AM
xdev
Ponderer
Default Casio

Remember that casio Be-300? Was'nt it supposed to be a budget one too?
Anyway, this device lacks a joypad...wont that affect compatibility unless they "tweak" the UI?

Old 07-22-2002, 12:21 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger
Default Re: Casio

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdev
Remember that casio Be-300? Was'nt it supposed to be a budget one too?
Not supposed to, it is a budget PDA. Under $150 now and still on sale in stores and online.

Old 07-25-2002, 07:32 AM
commander66
Pupil
Default Yakumo will cost 469 Euro

The new �cheap� Yakumo PDA will be available in Germany costing 469 �
very soon. This price includes a CF-II-Card - Adaptor.
This price seems to be a lot to high in my eyes. Especially when you see, that you can get a IPAQ 3760 for for 499 �.