Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Fujitsu Begins Sales of LOOX in Japan

http://pr.fujitsu.com/en/news/2002/07/16.html

Hot on the heels of the European release of the Fujitsu-Siemens Loox, Fujitsu has released their uni-branded version of the Loox. Nothing terribly exciting here - it's the same device from what I can tell.

"Fujitsu Limited today announced that it has commenced sales of its Pocket LOOX palm-sized personal digital assistant (PDA) in the Japanese market, with general availability from August 2, 2002 (*1). The sleek, 175g Pocket LOOX has built-in BluetoothTM wireless communications capability, enabling on-the-go Internet access via Bluetooth-equipped PDC or PHS mobile phones.Moreover, when linked to personal computers equipped with a Bluetooth USB adaptor (*2), it can be used in the office or at home for wireless data exchange, checking e-mail, surfing the Web and various other business and entertainment purposes."

I give them a nod for being honest about how they measure the battery life though (most OEMs don't tell you that):

"Approx. 10 hours (standard battery); approx. 20 hours (optional expansion battery). Assumes front light off, display in continuous "Today" mode. Battery life will vary depending on ambient temperature and other conditions."

Truth be told, however, that number isn't very impressive. The iPAQ 3870 with the side light off will last 16.2 hours. Perhaps the actual run time of the Loox is better in day to day use? In my tests I've noticed that the Jornada 565, which doesn't last as long as the iPAQ 3870 with the light off, will actually outlast the 3870 on the low backlight setting. Still, I really like what I've seen of the Loox and I'm looking forward to actually seeing one someday...maybe. I emailed the people listed at the bottom of that press release last week, and I received no response. Why can't all the companies be as good as Fossil when it comes to courting the support of enthusiasts? Perhaps someday...

Old 07-18-2002, 10:19 PM
kurzon
Pupil

Loox, will you marry me?

:werenotworthy:

Old 07-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Well I've pre-ordered mine a few days ago - Can't wait! Not long to go till the 5th of August. :rainbow1:

Old 07-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Take1
Intellectual

Has the transflective screen debate been figured out yet? If it's reflective --- forget it. If it's transflective, then I'm interested.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:14 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Did you see the specs

In the specs,
Quote:
SD-IO not supported
that ruined it for me.... why can't one company at least get it right?

Old 07-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take1
Has the transflective screen debate been figured out yet? If it's reflective --- forget it. If it's transflective, then I'm interested.
Yes - I talked to someone on the Loox product team: it's reflective. The boxes that said "transreflective" were a mistake.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:33 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default reflective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
The boxes that said "transreflective" were a mistake.
Those darn tech writers!

Old 07-19-2002, 12:36 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

God - do we have to go through this again?!

No mistake was made! The Loox has a sidelit transflective screen in common with virtually all Pocket PCs since the iPAQ. The Clies and new iPAQs have backlit transflective screens. Most Pocket PCs have been described as 'reflective' for a while because no other form of reflective technology was being used. However - early literature for a number of Pocket PCs has often used both terms interchangeably, as did early literature for the Loox. Now that the final literature is out - and to avoid confusion - the term reflective is being used for the Loox screen.

For some people that is a deal breaker. Fair enough - you can buy an iPAQ 3900 series with all its limitations and past history IF you want a backlit screen. You have NO other choices in terms of Pocket PC screens.

It's not difficult to get the little things right you know....

I'm a little puzzled by the battery quotes. I have two sources that have quoted a battery life of 10 hours plus to me while doing a lot more than the press release claims - plus I got 3 hours from the battery (without battery light) and it had barely used 20% (before I had to hand it over to the courier...) - allowing for shut off at 10% power - that would mean at least 13 -14 hours - either they are being really conservative or are just plucking the figures from the datasheet and covering themselves just in case...

Of course what I really want to know is where Jason got his iPAQ 3870 from - 16 hours with back light off? That's several more than I could get!

Old 07-19-2002, 01:46 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Just thought I'd through in a Babel Fish 'translation' of the Japanese specifications page for the Loox.

Quote:
"With the adoption of the lithium polymer battery, it actualizes the long time work of approximately 10 hours. If the expansion battery pack of selling separately is installed, approximately 20 hours be able to use, even ahead going out feeling at rest, it is possible to utilize."
It's amazing what the lack of a 'legal waiver' can do for the Loox's staying power! Here it is quite clearly stated that you can work for 10 hours - which is exactly what I've been hearing!

Old 07-19-2002, 02:14 AM
st63z
Philosopher

So, any further rumor/info about when the Fujitsu Loox will hit our shores (the good ol' US of A, that is)?

Also, my personal opinion is that a side SD slot almost negates the usefulness of SDIO anyway. I expect most if not all first-gen SDIO devices (for the foreseeable future) will be longer than SD memory cards, so as to stick out of the slot. And that's just plain uncomfortable and sorta ugly when it sticks out of the side of the PDA