Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Ilium Software attains Pocket PC 2002 logo

http://www.iliumsoft.com/wallet.htm

Ilium Software's eWallet� Version 2 is apparently the first application to come out from QualityLogic's test labs with shining stars, after the QualityLogic / HP partnership announcement! I am not surprised. eWallet is a great application.

"eWallet keeps important information secure, easy to access, centralized and portable. Users can record credit card numbers, calling cards, bank accounts, passwords, PINs, frequent flier account, voice mail directions, passport information and more."

Old 07-18-2002, 02:58 PM
nwarren
Pupil

Off-topic per-se, but eWallet's really limited by it's file level synchronisation - if I change an item on my iPaq and another on my PC, without synchronising first, then I know I'm going to lose the first change I've made.

It's very annoying.

Introduce a second PC, and it's chaos!!

Unless I'm missing something?

Old 07-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Hence the certification? Works like ActiveSync...

Sorry! Just kidding! :lol:

Old 07-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwarren
Off-topic per-se, but eWallet's really limited by it's file level synchronisation - if I change an item on my iPaq and another on my PC, without synchronising first, then I know I'm going to lose the first change I've made.
Works as advertised, like all file syncs. It isn't a CE database.

Old 07-18-2002, 08:16 PM
nwarren
Pupil

Ed - it may be as strictly as advertised, but I don't think it's particularly clear that it's not record level synchronisation. Sure, if you understand file synchronisation then you'll work it out.

I don't mean to be picky, but for a database, synchronisation should mean record level, not database level.

And don't get me wrong, I'm generally pleased with eWallet - I was just saying it's severely limited by this particular 'lack of feature'. It's probably not part of the certification process, but for databases I'd think this would be a feature that MS would be pushing for as a standard.

Old 07-19-2002, 02:48 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Quote:
And don't get me wrong, I'm generally pleased with eWallet - I was just saying it's severely limited by this particular 'lack of feature'.
Email them about it. My experience with Ilium is that they are very receptive to user ideas and comments. Perhaps they'll work on that for a future version of eWallet. What's more, they do the same style of syncronization with all of their products, so an investment in record-level syncronization for eWallet would also provide a potential enhancement for ListPro and all of their other products.

Old 07-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
I don't mean to be picky, but for a database, synchronisation should mean record level, not database level.
In concept, it sounds good, but consider the following scenarios:
� My wife and I both have our own eWallet files on our Pocket PC. I also have a 2nd work related eWallet file. I keep a copy of her file on mine and my file on hers. Easy to just beam an updated file to each other every few weeks in case something were to happen to the other person. This would be very difficult to manage if it were several hundred records like trying to keep Contacts or Tasks in sync between devices and keep them segregated.
� I have tons of confidential work info in my work eWallet file. It would be very simple when I leave to just buy a desktop client and leave it with my successor.
� One thing that is absolutely horrible on Pocket PCs is database movement. Contacts, tasks and appointments are a no brainer. However, how many here have lost linking and alarm info that Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion had when you either do a hard reset and rebuild (vs restore) or get a new device? It is so frustrating for me I almost never use links and just mumble when my task alarms are wiped out.

Now, if Ilium were to build a desktop side that used a syncable database that kept it in a file vs a CE database, that would be fine, but that requires another app outside of ActiveSync to so the sync and conflict resolution. It would be possilbe, but would be a huge task, and for all I know, they are already working on it, though I hope they are spending more time integrating ListPro lists into Tasks. :turn-l:

Old 09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Barbay1
Pupil

Ed Hansberry said:
>However, how many here have lost linking and alarm info that Pocket
>Informant or Agenda Fusion had when you either do a hard reset and
>rebuild (vs restore) or get a new device? It is so frustrating for me I
>almost never use links and just mumble when my task alarms are wiped
>out.

I would look into Pocket Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html) to back up everything to a Compact Flash card * -- I love that software because it allows you to back up your entire Pocket PC in 5 minutes or less (and I have about 54 MB used), and then you can selectively restore anything you like. It's paid for itself many times over and I use it religiously every day. I've had to restore individual files or the entire Pocket PC image on occasion and they both worked fine. I also use ActiveSync about once a week -- but that is a much slower backup and mostly for insurance.

*(requires a CF sleeve)