Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-16-2002, 07:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Time to get smart with Lexionary 1.2

http://revolution.cx/lex.htm

Lexionary is one of those applications that you never knew you needed - but once you start using it, you'll know that you needed it all along. It's superbly designed (though I noticed some broken graphic links in it tonight) with a great UI, and it's blazing fast at hurling around a database of 130,000 items. This is a GREAT resource to have on your Pocket PC, especially when one of those obscure words comes up in conversation, and you want to know if that guy REALLY knows what that word means that he uses every other sentence. The official blurb:

"Lextionary is a dictionary and thesaurus of the English language with features and information that are far superior to a normal dictionary. Instead of just having words organized alphabetically, Lextionary also organizes words by their semantic meaning. A normal dictionary only gives the definition of a word, but Lextionary starts with a definition and gives a multitude of links to others words. These links help define and place in context the word you are interested in and allow you to explore the word�s relationship to other words."

Some of the new features and fixes for version 1.2:

� Pronunciations! The word bubble button on the command bar turns pronunciations on and off.
� Improved the display of the link icons.
� Copy and look-up-the-selected-word now work properly on Pocket PC 2002.
� Fixed a bug where the same word entry was displayed several times on the same page.
� Requires 400K more storage space because of the pronunciations.

The software is $18.99, which I think is a steal for an application this useful. If you do any sort of writing in your job, if you're a student, or if you just want to dazzle your friends and foes with your stupefying linguistic acquisitions, this is a must-have app. I forgot how much I liked it. Download the free demo and let me know what you think of it! Be warned though, you'll need a big chunk of space to install it - the app works well from a storage card.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:56 AM
Kre
Intellectual

Ive been waiting forever for a really good dictionary and thesaurus program. And this looks like a great one. Thanks for the post!