Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ file store missing?

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54958

If the File Store on your iPAQ has gone south, this thread may be able to help. I suspect that Compaq will be adding it to their supported files on their web site in the near future.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:10 PM
Sparky
Pupil

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!

Now what are the chances this will work for Jornada's Safe Store? It's the same thing, right? (oh please, oh please...)[/code]

Old 07-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!

Now what are the chances this will work for Jornada's Safe Store? It's the same thing, right? (oh please, oh please...)
No, I wouldn't try it. The Pocket PC 2002 image on the Jornada and iPAQ is identical, yes, but the OEM's have a section reserved for themselves, and that is where the HP Backup goes, or the iPAQ iTASK program. Those ROM regions are a different size. Whatever is left they made the "HP Safe Store" or the "iPAQ File Store."

If you ran this on a Jornada, you would likely get one of three things:
� Nothing - it would recognize it was the wrong device and refuse to run.
� The HP apps would be damaged and you would have a non-functioning "iPAQ File Store" on your Jornada
� A metalic blue paperweight.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:27 AM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

Sure would be nice if those of us that had upgraded our H3600 iPaqs with 2002 could use the Safe Store....

Anyone figured out a way yet?

Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default iPAQ File Store on the 36xx series

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaqDude
Sure would be nice if those of us that had upgraded our H3600 iPaqs with 2002 could use the Safe Store....

I don't believe this can be done. The 36xx series only had 16 MB ROM, while the 38xx series has 32 MB. The 16 MB ROM in the 36xx is almost completely full, which is why the Pocket PC 2002 upgrade stored some "optional" components in RAM.

That's why I bought a new 3870 instead of bothering to upgrade my 3650.

Steve

Old 07-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:

As Steve pointed out, there's no way to get the file store on a 16MB H3600 series iPAQ because the ROM is already completely used. The file sotre is nothing but the leftover room in the 32MB ROM built into the newer device.

Theoretically, it should be possible to take a H3700 series ROM and put it onto one of the H3600 series iPAQ with 32MB ROM that were produced due to 16MB component shortage. I'm not sure if that ROM has a File Store like the H3800 series (haven't seen a H3700 so far), but I think so. I believe that the H3600 and H3700 series are similar enough hardware-wise for that to work, though.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:57 AM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

Actually my iPaq H3600 was one of those that had the 32 meg ROM in addition to the 32 meg of RAM. And the extra 16 meg is just sitting there....

Old 07-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default 32MB ROM Upgrades

Quote:
Actually my iPaq H3600 was one of those that had the 32 meg ROM in addition to the 32 meg of RAM. And the extra 16 meg is just sitting there....
Well, there are some companies that upgrade your 36xx ROM to 32MB, too. Maybe one of them has come up with software to make that usable.

For links to two of those companies, check out my Pocket PC Web page. LinearLogiX says you could copy the ROM image from the 37xx to a 36xx with 32MB ROM; it can't hurt to ask them how.

Steve