Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Why buy a pricey audio system for your car?

Peter Agarde wanted a better audio system in his car. He says "Ever since I got my Daewoo Tico car I was wondering about installing an audio system, but with this car it�s a quite difficult task: all the sizes are too small compared to the standards in the car�s interior. So when I got my new Jornada I started to play with the thought of using the device as the heart of my new audio system. My friend and I made an amplifier, we bought the speakers, did all the cable-work and because this Jornada series doesn�t have a car-holder accessory, we transfomed a cellular set so the device could fit into it. Now it�s working and it�s so cool, all the other drivers are staring at it at the red light!"

Very cool. Hours and hours of music with a play list editor far better than most car stereo's, and since you take it with you where ever you go, it should never get stolen. There are larger images in the discussion forum. <!>

Old 07-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

God what an ugly car you've bought... but that's just my opinion. If it makes you happy, congratulations! No more car jokes.

A question, those cables look awefully heavy, and I am worried they could damage your pocketpc's audio connectors. If it where me, I wouldnt use them like that, puts too much weight on it.

Try something else! Just IMHO, you could damage your expensive PDA.

On the iPaq, there is an audio connector on the expansion sleeve connector... could be a nice project, or business. Connector with audio out, audio in and power in from the car 12VDC.

Cheers!

Juan

Old 07-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturello
Cheers!
I'm confused. You blast his car. You blast his setup and you blast his choice of Pocket PC for the task, then you go "Cheers?" Whatever. :roll:

Old 07-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I agree on the weight of the cables. Looks kinda heavy. You can easily find (at RS) a mini-headphone plug to twin RCA plugs. That would get rid of the mini-phono to RCA jack adapter. That wouldn't be much more than a headphone cord hanging of it.

Here's a 6' version
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2551

There's a 3' as well.

Old 07-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturello
Cheers!
I'm confused. You blast his car. You blast his setup and you blast his choice of Pocket PC for the task, then you go "Cheers?" Whatever. :roll:
Did Venturello edit the posting? I only saw a blast of the car.

I did see a question about the setup, with a tip to possibly improve it, and a suggestion for a project for those who had iPAQs. Where is all this blasting?

If you want real blasting, go see the comments to your posting about Rick Tait and Time-Warner cable. :lol:

Steve

Old 07-02-2002, 04:21 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
If you want real blasting, go see the comments to your posting about Rick Tait and Time-Warner cable.
Nah... that was one of those posts where I just pulled the pin from the grenade and walked away. Let everyone else get hit with shrapnel. :wink:

Old 07-02-2002, 04:23 PM
medic119
Ponderer

To get back onto the subject, I tried this very thing as a substitute for a CD changer in my truck. I found a little device that broadcasts the signal of any standard 3.5mm audio jack device over a radio station (your choice). I plugged it and the Jornada into the cigarette lighter and it worked well, but the Jornada kept timing out, even with it set not to.

I found a much better solution. The same setup, only with an Apple iPod. Since the release of MediaFour's Xplay, the iPod works with windows. I loaded up all my music and plugged it into the Radio thing and it works like a charm, with much more music available than a CF card device. Its small, lightweight, and has all the options you would need. The only thing missing is a cigarette adapter, and someone has created a third party one of those.

If I were this guy I would look at changing the setup to something like that because you'll get much more music for the buck. But the system is really cool. Imagine using the Alarms, GPS directions, or something through the system and having it broadcast over the MP3s playing in the background. Better than an in dash computer. IMHO, I think I would miss the Radio programs I listen to when travelling.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:48 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default fm transmitter

I initially thought of the FM transmitter as well. This guy does not have a stereo at all, so that would not work. It does look like those cables are a bit heavy - and for a cool looking setup, a little unsightly. One suggestion may be to use a different guage of wiring that integrates into the holder. The holder can then use the DC output to charge the device while the PDA is inserted.

I do this occasionally with my stereo, but use an FM transmitter to my stereo to play MP3 files on long drives. It works out very well.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic119
To get back onto the subject, I tried this very thing as a substitute for a CD changer in my truck. I found a little device that broadcasts the signal of any standard 3.5mm audio jack device over a radio station (your choice). I plugged it and the Jornada into the cigarette lighter and it worked well, but the Jornada kept timing out, even with it set not to.

I found a much better solution. The same setup, only with an Apple iPod. Since the release of MediaFour's Xplay, the iPod works with windows. I loaded up all my music and plugged it into the Radio thing and it works like a charm, with much more music available than a CF card device. Its small, lightweight, and has all the options you would need. The only thing missing is a cigarette adapter, and someone has created a third party one of those.

If I were this guy I would look at changing the setup to something like that because you'll get much more music for the buck. But the system is really cool. Imagine using the Alarms, GPS directions, or something through the system and having it broadcast over the MP3s playing in the background. Better than an in dash computer. IMHO, I think I would miss the Radio programs I listen to when travelling.
I have the Pocket CoPilot Jacket Edition for my iPAQ 3870, which comes with a windshield mount and an AC adapter. I also have a 256 MB card which I store maps and MP3s on (the GPS sleeve has a CF slot). I bought a cassette adapter to feed audio from my iPAQ into my stereo.

Now when I'm driving, I can start a playlist in Media Player, bring up Pocket CoPilot, and I get music and the GPS voice prompts over my stereo.

Of course, you need the car stereo for this solution.

Steve

Old 07-02-2002, 05:48 PM
golfingtigger
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to golfingtigger
Default I've tried before

Well, since you guys have suggestions, help me out :?: . I have a Honda Civic with an Alpine Deck, Sony Xplod Subwoofers, and a Xplod Amp. I was trying to hook my 3835 iPaq to the system so that I could carry along MP3's (my deck is pre-MP3 CD compatibility). Unlike the iPaq 36xx series with audio out capabilities, the headphone jack is just that, a headphone jack.

Anyway, when I plugged the 'Paq up to the deck-- thin, tinny sound with absolutely no depth came through the subs. How do I get around this issue :? . I want MP3 music, but not with sub-par quality. I also don't feel like spending too much money on this, I would opt for a true MP3 CD option if the price gets to be more than pocket money. Just really wanted that portable thing for the WOW factor.

Suggestions?