Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default ATI IMAGEON�100

http://www.ati.com/technology/hardware/imageon100/index.html

I hadn't seen this particular page on the Imageon 100 before - it has the usual marketing blab...

"The new generation of handheld devices demand more advanced graphics capabilities. Higher resolution color panels, higher performance embedded processors, increased internal and removable storage capabilities, and the deployment of higher bit-rate wireless technologies such as WLAN, 2.5G, and 3G are all part of the revolution in handheld and mobile communication devices. Until now, no solution has been available which can provide the combination of powerful graphics and advanced power-saving technology needed for this exploding marketplace."

...but this one item on the spec list caught my attention:

"Use of embedded memory as a frame buffer for standard PDA resolutions and an integrated memory controller for support of external SDRAM for resolutions up to 640 x 480 at a color depth of 16bpp."

This chip is capable of doubling the current Pocket PC resolution from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480. Are we getting to that point yet? Should we double the resolution? What do you think?

Old 06-17-2002, 04:53 PM
bchristian
Pupil
Default Ahem...

Actually, it is quadrupling the resolution.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

I think it's time for a 480 by 640 screen. That is what the $500+ PPC models ought to have. An entry level PDA that is just used for a few notes or basic stuff is OK at QVGA, but even Sony Clies now have half VGA on 66 MZ systems.

If PPCs are going to be full laptop replacements they need VGA. I should think a 400+ MZ model could handle it and it would make them much more attractive for picture taking and editing. You would finally have real practical web browsing, and full use of the new plug-ins and desktop utilities like Shock Wave (what is that viewer that just arrived for PPC?) and Adobe stuff.

I don't really think we will see it though. The race is on to lower prices and the QVGA controllers are built-in on the latest ARMS. A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life. All this at a time when PPC sales are down. Nope.

Sure would be nice, though.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchristian
Actually, it is quadrupling the resolution.
Well...yes. 8) I don't think that most people think in terms of effective pixels - they just look at the numbers

320 x 240 = 78,600 pixels
640 x 480 = 307,200 pixels

Resolution increase of 390.8% :lol:

Old 06-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson
A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life. All this at a time when PPC sales are down. Nope.
Ah, but remember Timothy that some Pocket PCs we'll see this year will have the ATI chip built-in already.

I keep getting conflicing reports on the e740 though - some say the ATI chip on on the device, others say the chip is on the VGA-output add-on.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Mark (NL)
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson
. A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life.
Actually batttery life would benefit from a seperate graphics processor... size shouldn't be a problem since the chip is not that large and cost well... maybe it would add a little, but in mass production these kind of chips don't cost much either... SO please vendors, go for this <g> I'm just afraid that the LCD's at quadrupple capability will become quite a lot more expensive

Nice to keep dreaming though :P :P

Old 06-17-2002, 06:02 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default 640x480 otherwise OQO here I come...

Having used my iPaq for quite some time now, I feel the software is being limited by the screen size/resolution, as all the new browsers quoting advanced algorithms to squeeze pages into 240x320 proves...

My next device will need a higher resolution screen, preferably switchable between portrait and landscape... PocketPC Pro anyone.

If this style of device doesn't come out before the OQO (or similar) then I'd probably jump to that device as it allows me to use my standard software

As it is the new Sony CLIE PEG-NR70(V) wipes the floor (RAM/CPU excepted) with my iPaq (at least for hardware desirability), and the ARM version is going to give the PocketPC a serious run for its money.

My 2c

PS. Why stop at 480x640... :wink:

Old 06-17-2002, 06:33 PM
TMAN
Ponderer

This Detailed Techinical Spec states that the e740 has an ATI graphics controller.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...pc_to_e740.pdf
Current: iPhone, HTC AdvantagePast: 200LX,Newton 120,MP 2100,PalmPilot,Velo1, 620LX,660LX,HP's 680,690,568,REX5000,TriPad,Clio-1050,z50,E-115,E-125,Visor Prism,Aero 2130, iPAQs 3650,3670,3850,3870,5450, Toshiba e740, 128MB iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 5555, Treo 600, Treo 650, PPC-6700

Old 06-17-2002, 08:50 PM
denethor
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN
This Detailed Techinical Spec states that the e740 has an ATI graphics controller.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...pc_to_e740.pdf
Ohhh god! Somthing crazy will happend by the end of the year...Wait and see!

Old 06-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis
Default Super Vision?

I hate to say no thanks but, no thanks. The only way I need things on my screen to be smaller is if someone can get me Bionic eye implants! The only problem I have with better resolution is the smaller images you get. On a 3.5" screen they are already a pain for my poor eyes. The solution may lie in making it scaleable/rotatable screen (or one of those cool rollable screens like in the EFC Globals :lol: ). I WOULD like more colors though, 65k is a bit limiting. The screen size is one reason I was ecstatic about the Toshiba(Audiovox) e550G coming to the US, the 4" screen is very, very nice as long as I can get an extended replacement battery I'll be in Heaven! Anyway, wasn't there a rumor that the HP iPaq is going to get a resolution boost in 2003?