Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-06-2002, 03:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba e740 from Amazon for $599

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000658CE/jasonsego

Amazon.com finally has a listing for the e740, but they're listing it as out of stock. Watch this URL for availability. I'm curious - five of you ordered from this list when I posted it a few weeks ago. Has Amazon cancelled the order, or have they indicated they'll fulfill it?

"Packaged in an attractive, sleek design, the Toshiba e740 Pocket PC features a familiar user interface and tools powered by Microsoft Windows Pocket PC 2002. It's the first Pocket PC to be equipped with a blindingly fast 400 MHz Intel XScale processor, vastly improving application switching and multimedia playback. The Toshiba e740 is equipped with built-in slots for both Secure Digital (SD) and CompactFlash (CF) memory and module cards."

Old 06-06-2002, 04:04 PM
dave
Ponderer
Default i bought from amazon

i bought one from amazon before they yanked it a few weeks ago.

the communication has been less than thorough. i have sent them a couple of emails requesting additional information and have gotten really no information from them.

the order status page says it should ship between 6/8 and 6/15. no detail yet on the confusing wireless situation, nor have i received any correspondence from amazon asking me for my preference if there are in fact three devices.

gonna make a circuit city run at lunch to see if it does in fact exist. as soon as i receive mine i will post.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:57 PM
MobiliT
Ponderer
Default What network model?

So what network model is this Amazon item? Bluetooth integrated, 802.11b integrated, or neither? The Amazon page states "Integrated wireless Bluetooth and WLAN capabilities".

BTW, which network models are showing up at Circuit City?

Old 06-06-2002, 05:25 PM
andre
Pupil

if you look at some of the earlier threads, i purchased one at compusa the other day which only apparently offers 802.11, there is no mention of bluetooth, so amazon has this one wrong- its almost tempting to order the thing and then put them through the wringer when they ship you the wrong item...i'm selling mine on ebay because i actually prefer the bluetooth model.

Old 06-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Yeah - the Amazon description makes the buyer thing it has both WIFI and Bluetooth. Silly marketing people - who lets them loose? :roll:

Old 06-06-2002, 06:06 PM
dave
Ponderer
Default no luck at circuit city

my local circuit city had a label for the e740 next to the e310, but had no display model. i asked to buy one, but then was told that they had none in stock.

the salesperson was clueless about the wireless capabilities. oh well, guess i'll wait it out. if anyone hears from amazon which model they will be shipping please post.

Old 06-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

You know, with all the speculation and sites e-retailers posting conflicting specifications, why doesn't Toshiba just release the information. Then we would finally have an answer to what is coming and if there will in fact be multiple versions available. It seems so lame that they wouldn't release anything about it. We know the e740 is coming and even what some of the major features will be, but why not let us in on all the specs.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:57 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Bluetooth may not be so 'integrated'

I don't know if someone knows this already... but I can conceive that it may be possible that this device may have BT option by way of an SD card... the same they made for Palm. The BT+WLAN model would then just have the integrated WiFi and a BT card?

Old 06-06-2002, 09:29 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre
if you look at some of the earlier threads, i purchased one at compusa the other day which only apparently offers 802.11, there is no mention of bluetooth, so amazon has this one wrong- its almost tempting to order the thing and then put them through the wringer when they ship you the wrong item...i'm selling mine on ebay because i actually prefer the bluetooth model.
What is the price for the 802.11 at CompUSA?

Old 06-08-2002, 05:55 AM
snowiboy
Neophyte

Check out this site:

http://computer.toshiba.de/cgi-bin/T...&ID=00000015e6

Under "ultra mobility& entertainment" it answers the question of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth....... they are seperate offerings (not on same machine, or bluetooth card)

We will be able to select which machine we want!!!

Options, what is that?