Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 05-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Two hour movie, 25 frames per second. All in 16MB!?!

http://hollywood.org/DGS/index2.html

Guillaume Defoss� has developed a compression algorithm he claims will allow you to view a two hour movie from a 16MB storage card on your cell phone or PDA, though I suspect a PDA movie would be larger to allow for the bigger screen. Still, even if it ballooned to 32MB for a Pocket PC, who cares? This would be awesome. Just think, Marlof would be able to fit roughly 16 movies on that 512MB SD card you just know he is itching to order.

Thanks to Michael van Oosten for the link.

Old 05-29-2002, 06:44 PM
denivan
Theorist

This guy is from Belgium. I read about his system two years ago in a magazine, but he never got much attention. He allways was pretty misterious about his invention so most of the people who knew about this were sceptical. I'm very interested to see what's the quality...

Old 05-29-2002, 07:03 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default Compression

No offence guys but as somewhat pointed out by previous poster, this is old news. Now if adopters of this encryption algorithom start popping up at a rapid pace that would be news.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountford
No offence guys but as somewhat pointed out by previous poster, this is old news. Now if adopters of this encryption algorithom start popping up at a rapid pace that would be news.
How old could it be? He is running it on a Nokia 9210 and did limited demo's March 18 at CeBIT. He may have been working on it for years before that, but I think the "news" is he may have a viable product - he is estimating 4-5 months to market for the 9210.

Lemme know if you want me to filter out stuff that isn't up to the minute. I can just assume everyone else has already seen it. :roll:

Old 05-29-2002, 07:10 PM
denivan
Theorist

Well, he has had 'this invention' for a long while now, but for some reason he never cashed in, which made everybody in our country even more suspicious. The company he now works with is also located in Belgium, so I seriously doubt that his invention is real. If it trully was real, he would have sold it for billions to nokia or something, instead of working with some crappy unknown company that has difficulty convincing people of its product. By the way, if you download that stupid videoclip, then it all says enough...that clip hardly looked like 25 fps to me.

In my opinion this guy is just a fake.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:13 PM
njb42
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to njb42 Send a message via AIM to njb42 Send a message via MSN to njb42 Send a message via Yahoo to njb42
Default 5MB, not 16MB!

The article mentions that 11MB of the 16MB card is used by the OS and applications. So it appears he's claiming to have compressed a 2-hour movie into 5MB?

I dunno. I've done some coding of experimental video compression algorithms. If he really has accomplished what he claims, my hat is off to him.

The other question is, how long does it take to compress the movie? Generally the smaller the output file, the more CPU time it takes to crunch through the compression. I wouldn't be surprised if his algorithm took several hours even on a very fast machine.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:34 PM
bchristian
Pupil
Default Too good to be true?

If it sounds too good to be true... It probably is. That is what I think anyway. It seems like we get these kind of claims every few months about compression. I don't see how we can get much better compression than we have now.

If he really had a breakthrough then we would have seen something using it by now. And even if he has it compressing better than current algorithms I bet it is like njb42 says and it takes hours or maybe even days to compress a single movie on a Pentium 2.53Ghz.

It reminds me of the "miracle" carburaetors of days gone by. I used to hear about these every once in a while with claims like "100 miles per gallon or more!". I guess in our age the claim is "Over 2 hours of video and audio in 5MB!"...

Yeah, right. I will believe it when I see it, and can examine it close-up.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:48 PM
CR
Pupil

A 108 min. movie at 25fps in 4MB... that's like 1 frame in every byte plus the audio. That's never going to happen if you want any viewable quality in your video. Looks to me like he's just streaming it over a network. On the board in the background, it says 75kb/s ( unless that's 15 ) which comes out to roughly 60 MB. At 15 Kb/s it comes out to 12 MB, but there is no point in trying to watch that espescially when you tack on the audio stream. I guess it would be okay if the resolution was 20x20

Old 05-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Ed Hansberry

I too am beginning to get suspicious. Check out his FAQ at http://hollywood.org/DGS/FAQ.html - look at this question:
Quote:
Question: Is DGS loss-less compression ?
Answer: We are not completely sure for the moment but we think it is. The reason is that we can compress (better : reduce) (1) motion/picture/audio, (2) Data, but also (3) software (binary executable code). An example: we reduce a well-known software packet of about 450 MB to 20 MB (stored on a CD-business card). When installing it runs on the 20 MB version (thus not decompressing the 20 MB back to 450 MB).
Huh? "We think it is?" What does that mean? Either you can decompress it to its full glory or you can't. Not that hard to test. :roll:

Old 05-29-2002, 08:15 PM
denivan
Theorist

For your information i looked up the company 'Millenium Gate' in 'de gouden gids' (that's the belgian yellow pages) and found nothing. I also looked it up on vanhecke.com (a company listing site, our home companies are listed here, one of them was just founded last year, so vanhecke.com is up to date). So on both sites I can find nothing about this Millenium Digital NV , at the moment I have exams, but I would like to go to the national bank depot, to see if this company really exists.

Another thing on this page is funny :
http://hollywood.org/DGS/warning.html

"Please keep in mind that special hardware adaptions are needed for DGS-applications. "

What does that mean? That a 1Gb microdrive needs to be built in into a Nokia 9210 ? ;-))

I'm almost embarassed to be belgian Btw, in earlier interviews he stated that he is a home made inventor and is not an engineer of some sort...