Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-21-2002, 03:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Speereo Voice Organizer 1.02

http://www.speereo.com/Download/index.html

Some rather lofty claims from Speereo - do they ring true? Download the demo version and let me know! I have yet to see speech recognition software that "really works" on a level consistent enough for it to be more of a benefit than a hindrance, so I'm curious to see if Speereo hit the mark.

"For the first time in the industry speech recognition really fine works on your PocketPC! [sic] And that’s great, because voice control allows the user of hand-held devices quickly and easily navigate through applications without having to use touch-screen keypad. Simply with the help of speech commands! Speereo Voice Organizer is the first and the only Pocket PC product with a rugged state-of-the-art speaker-independent speech interface. Start planning your day much more conveniently!

Using Speereo Voice Organizer for day planning is as easy, as chatting on a cell phone. Add audio comments to a planned event and listen to them when the event comes. You may forget about the stylus. It is more convenient and faster to use a new address book. Unmatched combination of quality and functionality on Pocket PC. Plan your day on the go!"

Old 05-21-2002, 06:10 PM
MBurch
Pupil
Default too cumbersome

I downloaded the 15 day trial version. Once it set up and copied my contacts and calendar, it worked as predicted. One big setback: You have to press and hold the voice recorder button to do speech recognition. You have to hold the button, wait a second, then speak the command. If found this too cumbersome and time consuming.

One nice feature is that each available command is shown on the screen, and the interface is fairly easy to figure out. But I want something like Fonix Commander that works with the existing PPC programs. Speereo's effort is to develop an entirely new organizer that imports stuff from the PPC's built-in apps. Takes a LONG Time to set up and the Calendar setup is slow. I had to specify every event in my calendar.

Ideally voice recognition should reside in the background. You should be able to use existing apps and speak commands normally. Also, a good system should realize that a PDA is by necessity going to have to use more than just voice for input.

I used to have a Philips Nino PSPC (in WinCE 2.11 days) and found the little voice app provided by Philips to be a good balance. It ran quietly in the background and I found it had about a 90% accuracy rate for me. You spent a few minutes speaking commands into it to set it up. It had the advantage of allowing you to set up custom commands as well. I could say "e-mail" and a new e-mail document would open, then speak a contact name and it would fill that in the TO: line. That was spiffy! I miss it. Wish there was something like that for the PPC.