Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-13-2002, 07:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Resco Picture Viewer Review

http://www.resco-net.com/resco/en/solution_picview_p.asp

Being the digital photography nut that I am, I'm constantly looking for the ultimate photo viewing app for my Pocket PC. I've bounced between several applications, each offering different benefits, but I've finally found an application that seems to offer the right mix of features, usability, and speed. Resco Picture Viewer 3.8 is a killer app for my Pocket PC. This application can read MPEG video, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, 2BP, PCX, TIFF, CFX, PCX, RAB, RAW, PGM, PPM. One of the few criticisms I had about this app was the weak MPEG support - it needs quite a bit of work, but it's a good start (although I couldn't seem to get audio from my MPEG file). For serious MPEG watching though, stick to PocketTV for now.

Perhaps the best thing about this application is the streamlined user interface - when you first load the application, you're presented with a start-up wizard that prompts you for an action. I can't stress how much this is a time saver: especially when working from a CF card that you just took out of your camera, this wizard saves some clicks (shown below).

Some of the other features include: speed optimization for extra large photos, advanced toolbar, object drawing tool, full-sized thumbnail bar, save album as package, contrast and brightness adjustment, convert to JPG or BMP, send via Infrared, send to email recipient, MP3 sounds support, digital camera support, slide show mode including (wav,mp3,mp2) sounds, full screen preview, sound and text notes, zoom in, zoom out, zoom 100%, zoom to fit, smart picture rotations,
memory optimizations, association dialogue, gamma correction, text and sounds annotations, transition effects...and a whole lot more.

If you're interested in learning more about what the Resco product can do, check out their online help page.

It's not the perfect app - there are some glitches with it, but overall I've found it to be an excellent program for viewing photos and creating slideshows (you can play MP3 tracks with your photo slideshows). This application has replaced all the other photo viewing apps on my Pocket PC - I recommend it highly.

You can purchase Resco Picture Viewer from Handango for $19.99. They have a trial version for download as well.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:30 PM
langleyt
Neophyte

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quick question on general digital photgraphy. What is the best file type and image size to save pictures on your Pocket PC or CF card to get best results while viewing?

Thanks, Tom

Old 05-13-2002, 08:40 PM
dma1965
Thinker
Default Not My Favorite

Even though I purchased this as part of a package from Resco, the freeware PQView renders the image better, faster, and has what I consider to be a better feature set. Just my opinion

Old 05-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by langleyt
Quick question on general digital photgraphy. What is the best file type and image size to save pictures on your Pocket PC or CF card to get best results while viewing?
Well, if you have a desktop batch program to resize your images, 320 x 240 is the best size for full-screen viewing. JPEG, quality around 75 or so.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Not My Favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
Even though I purchased this as part of a package from Resco, the freeware PQView renders the image better, faster, and has what I consider to be a better feature set. Just my opinion
Larry is a pal of mine, so he knows what I think, but I don't like the UI for PQView. It has a GREAT feature-set, but I find the UI to be really clumsy for my needs at least. The Resco UI is a wonder to behold - that start-up wizard is downright lovely. 8)

Old 05-13-2002, 10:46 PM
dma1965
Thinker
Default UI

I do see how some would like the startup of Resco Picture Viewer, but I personally like the PQView startup much better, and also prefer the UI. But that is why we have choices, and thank God we finally do with Pocket PC apps!!!! 8)

Old 05-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
But that is why we have choices, and thank God we finally do with Pocket PC apps!
Excatly! Heck, I can remember the day when we had ONE photo viewer - now there are at least a dozen that I can think of. Choice is excellent - and I chose the Resco product. :-)

Old 05-15-2002, 12:10 PM
langleyt
Neophyte

Jason, thanks for your reply to my question above, that is eactly what I was keen to know. Regards, Tom

Old 05-23-2002, 03:31 AM
icatar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to icatar Send a message via Yahoo to icatar
Default Windows XP Powertoys

If you're running Windows XP, they have a power toy that will allow you to resize images with a right click. There are presets for 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480 and.... Pocket PC! Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

Old 05-23-2002, 03:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Windows XP Powertoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatar
If you're running Windows XP, they have a power toy that will allow you to resize images with a right click. There are presets for 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480 and.... Pocket PC! Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
Good call! Yes, this is a handy powertoy for Pocket PC owners...