Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default WordCommands

http://members.tripod.ca/~paragon1/wordcommands/

Jay Lagorio posted a message about his software in a discussion message, but I thought his software looked so cool I wanted to share it with you. If you use a keyboard, you'll love this software! Best of all, it's free.

"Do you have a Stowaway Keyboard, or another brand of external keyboard that attaches to your Pocket PC? When you use Pocket Word, you've probably tried to type a document, during which you've pressed Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I out of habit. What happens then? Well...nothing. Pocket Word ignores your command and continues to give you a plain, normally-formatted text that doesn't have Bold, Underlined, or Italicized text like you had asked.

Now, however, there's an easy and simple way to do this without doing much of anything that's different from what you would do on your word processor on your PC. It's called WordCommands. WordCommands will attach to Microsoft Word and intercept those keyboard shortcuts that Word doesn't pay attention to. Then, when it sees that you've typed a key combination, it will send the appropriate message to Microsoft Word, which will act as if you've just tapped the correct button or elected the proper menu item."

Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Very Cool! 8)

Old 05-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Paragon
Magi

Pretty cool little app isn't it Jason.

Jay Lagorio helps me moderate the HP forums at Pocket PC Passion. He is still in High School.... I think he has a future in writing software ahead of him if he chooses. This app has been picked up by several sites around the world all giving it great reviews.

He has been writing a program for me.... so would you guys all leave him alone so he can finish it.

Dave

Old 05-06-2002, 07:59 PM
JayLagorio
Pupil

Well, I'm glad it's been looked at! I just wish I could put up a counter to see how many people view the page or download the software. Oh well, it's Tripod, what can ya' do?

Thanks again for the comments and the review, and if anyone has any suggestions or anything, don't hesitate to E-Mail me.

[email protected]

Old 05-06-2002, 10:08 PM
MBurch
Pupil
Default great work on this app!

Jay,

thanks for doing this app. It is exactly what is needed. You have filled a big niche with a little application!

Old 05-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual

Jay, thank you SO much for this. This fixes a big gripe I had with Microsoft over Pocket Word.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:45 PM
JJ
Ponderer

Great little program! This is what Pocket Word should've had.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:06 PM
JayLagorio
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
Jay, thank you SO much for this. This fixes a big gripe I had with Microsoft over Pocket Word.
May I just tell you that I've been reading your columns through AvantGo for a while now, and that I really like them? I look forward to them every week!

And thanks to everyone for the praise over this little app. I guess I decided correctly when I thought I should stop sitting on all of the little programs I write. I'm glad this one is useful to everyone!

Old 05-06-2002, 11:24 PM
gamboagarcia
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to gamboagarcia

As I tell you, Jay, in another board. HP Pocket Keyboard can�t take advantage of your software, since it has no Cntrl Key!!!.

David.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLagorio
Thanks again for the comments and the review, and if anyone has any suggestions or anything, don't hesitate to E-Mail me.
Can this be put in the Startup group? I hesitate to try doing that sometimes because it can cause a device to need a hard reset to recover.