Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default HP Pocket Keyboard review

http://www.compu2go.com/hpkeyboard.html

compu2go.com has just published a review of the HP Pocket Keyboard. I am anxiously waiting for my own HP Pocket Keyboard and read the review with great interest. Unfortunately, John Mierau (the reviewer) gave the keyboard his thumbs down and decided to return his unit.

Although John says he likes the design he concludes: "For quick notes & short emails, the pocketkeyboard does the job. Input is relatively quick & easy if you're not worried about punctuation or extended symbols (for which there's a symbol pattern popup screen). However -& for me, this is a big however- the lack of control key/hotkey mappings, as well as the lack of home & end keys, make the keyboard unusable for anything requiring quotes & actual sentence structure. Great design aside, there's a flimsy feel to the thing & added bulk. Both of this would be forgiveable if I felt comfortable using the pocket keyboard for more than a grocery list of quick thought. Bottom line: I'm returning my Pocket Keyboard. Unless you truly hate using a Soft input method, I'd recommend a Stowaway or wait for a 3rd party thumboard... Despite being a big hp junky, the pocket keyboard gets a disappointed thumbs down."

What do the rest of you HP Pocket Keyboard users feel? Should I expect good or not-so-good when my unit arrives?

Old 04-29-2002, 01:47 PM
vetteguy
Ponderer

Punctuation and numeric entry are a pain, and since a lot of data I enter on my PPC are numeric, it makes it difficult. Also a few of the keys are less responsive that the others, so unless you pay close attention to the screen you can end up with some incomplete words.

Old 04-29-2002, 02:30 PM
fgarcia10
Intellectual
Default Two thumbs Up!

I do apartments inspections, and I really like to be able to walk and type at the same time. I use a template for my inspections and it is easy for me to navigate. And Stellarmetrics HPHotKey do the mapping and hoykey functions for me. Plus it match perfectly my Jornada.

Old 04-29-2002, 03:16 PM
ledowning
Ponderer
Default HP Pocket Keyboard

I have had the HP keyboard for awhile now and I have found it very useful to jot down notes in meetings, etc. It takes quite a bit of practice to use the keyboard effectively. After years of typing on a normal keyboard, just using your thumbs for typing can be tricky, I am constantly looking at the keyboard to see what I am typing.

I don't have the keyboard attached all the time, only when I think I will use it for a meeting, etc. Also the HPHotKey software works well as mentioned in another post.

Good Luck with your keyboard.

Old 04-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Punctuation and numbers are indeed a pain, and the keys are so close together that my fat thumbs often miss. It'll never replace my Stowaway, but despite all that, I do like it. It doesn't add a lot of heft to the Jornada, and it's faster than the soft input methods.

Old 04-29-2002, 05:30 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

One thing I really appreciate about it was the way HP was able to integrate it to fit the design of the device, when it's on it doesn't look hideous or,like it shouldn't be there, it just fits and works.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:11 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I will voice my support with all the previous thoughts. It's a great device for the short notes, and emails, terrific form factor, and decent easy of use. HPHotkey though is essential for the keyboard. It fills the gaps that HP left.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:54 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default HP Pocket Keyboard review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
What do the rest of you HP Pocket Keyboard users feel? Should I expect good or not-so-good when my unit arrives?
Take your time learning the device and don't judge it too soon. After using it for a while, you will realize that it is very beneficial. I had some sticky buttons, but after using it for a while, they got better.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Thank you all! I am even more eager...

Old 04-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Jorgen
Sage

I have the Palm Portable keyboard for my 505 and though I love folding it out and typing on it, I never carry it around (except once in a while to show off - the same was the case with the keyboard I had for the Palm V.

The HP Pocket keyboard, I actually carry around (though not constantly) and I use it! I have no problems with navigation as the keyboard is so narrow that I can hold the stylus while typing - and, no, you cannot hold a stylus while typing on a full-sized keyboard like the Stoveaway.

I bought the HPhotkey from Stellarmetrics on recommendation from a number of users at PDA Buzz. Both are very much recommended!

Jorgen