Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Tycho Morgan
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tycho Morgan Send a message via AIM to Tycho Morgan Send a message via MSN to Tycho Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Tycho Morgan
Default Pocket Blog

http://pocketblog.com/

We got an email a few weeks ago about this �Mobile offline Blogger� program for Pocket PCs that would allow weblogers to compose entries on their Pocket PC and have them post when you sync. I�ve wanted to do a little thoughting about this for a while. The idea of a �mobile offline blogging� This isn�t a new idea; folks have been doing it for a long time. For instance, I have running word documents in which I compose weblog entries that is kept on my Jornada (Granted I rarely use this, but the idea is there). I�ve been told that Greymatter will work with AvantGo, and I assume MoveableType will as well. There is something really convient about having a database type program that automatically posts entries to the CMS. I think this might be something that would help my ability to Blog more effectively. I�d like a spell checker and a slightly more advanced implementation on the side of the various CMSes, but it isn�t a perfect world I suppose. Pocket Blog is currently in Beta if you are daring enough, and I eagerly await its final release.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:41 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Am I missing something here? BLOGGING is what I do with my Ipaq at least 50% of the time, and I would love a program that allows me to do it all from my Ipaq.

So, where on the site referred to is the program?

Does it support different BLOG sites, like Diaryland, Open Diary, etc.?

Old 04-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

Scroll down to the April 14 entry on the site to download the Pocket Blog beta. So far it supports Radio Userland, Movable Type, and Blogger.

This is EXACTLY the kind of program I've been looking for; don't you just love it when something comes along that's perfect for your needs?

Old 04-23-2002, 02:55 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

www.pocketblog.com is the URL for the program.

It uses the Blogger API for communication with the backend server, so PocketBlog can be used with any CMS that supports that API.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

If you use LiveJournal for your blogging or journaling (as I do) they also have a PocketPC-based client that uses AvantGo to allow offline entries. It works very well.

Old 04-23-2002, 04:04 PM
byehl
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to byehl

Sam: Thanks for posting about Pocket Blog, the web site is getting a lot of flow from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabaclue
If you use LiveJournal for your blogging or journaling (as I do) they also have a PocketPC-based client that uses AvantGo to allow offline entries. It works very well.
For Blogger users there is AvantBlog. PocketLJ appears to provide a somewhat richer interface for LiveJournal users (LJ has a ton of features that don't exist in other weblog software, with it's own API).

An update to Pocket Blog should be ready soon. To the best of my knowledge it is stable (doesn't crash), but presently it does not cope with errors very well and sometimes it is unable to detect an Internet connection. Once the .NET Compact Framework becomes available it should be possible to add more advanced features, like spell-check.

Old 04-23-2002, 05:40 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise
Default multiple blogs

How do you go about selecting a blog if you have multiple post? I saw in the Server Settings that you can choose a primary blog you want to work on but it doesn't allow you to post to multiple blogs in 1 offline session. Any idea? No FAQ's yet on PocketBlog.com.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:37 PM
wilkinsjme
Pupil
Default blogspot.com

:?: Has anybody figured out how to set this up to publish on blogspot.com? I don't have my own site to publish to so i use blogspot.com. There aren't any setttings for server, path, etc. haven't found any settings at blogger.com or info at pocketblog.com either. The only info I need to input is the url on blogspot.com to publish to (i.e. http://<blogname>.blogspot.com)

Old 04-24-2002, 12:30 AM
byehl
Pupil
Default multiple blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
How do you go about selecting a blog if you have multiple post? I saw in the Server Settings that you can choose a primary blog you want to work on but it doesn't allow you to post to multiple blogs in 1 offline session. Any idea? No FAQ's yet on PocketBlog.com.
Right now PB is only designed to work with a single weblog. Supporting multiple weblogs, servers, and category routing is on the ToDo list, see the Roadmap link on pocketblog.com.

-Bryce

Old 04-24-2002, 12:32 AM
byehl
Pupil
Default blogspot.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsjme
Has anybody figured out how to set this up to publish on blogspot.com?
BlogSpot is Blogger, try the default settings.

Server: plant.blogger.com
Port: 80
Path: /api/RP2

Let me know if that doesn't work, I'll try adding BlogSpot to my Blogger account.

-Bryce