Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Attention iPAQ BlueTooth users!

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/14376.html

Compaq has released what looks like a COMPREHENSIVE BlueTooth update. Here is what the notes have:

Fixes
� Reduced the radio startup time on a power cycle of the iPAQ.
� Improved reliability of application on repeated power cycles of the iPAQ to prevent system lockup.
� Implemented fixes for compatibility issues with a 3COM BT PC Card and USB Dongle, specifically in the area of Bluetooth ActiveSync connections.
� Implemented fixes for compatibility issues with Digianswer Bluetooth Devices.
� Implemented a fix for bonding with Nokia 6310 BT phone. Failure to bond the phone and iPAQ will no longer require a reset of the iPAQ.
� Corrected ability to send multi-line notes in Task and Calendar items.
� Corrected a lock-up behavior on Device Information screen whenever the mating device is turned off or moved out of range.
� Record application is no longer interrupted when the iPAQ is turned on via Voice Record button and the Bluetooth Security Manager is loaded.
� Corrected issue with keyboard remaining active after a passkey is intentionally rejected.
� Corrected the time zone indicator setting when transferring Calendar items to a PC running Outlook.

Enhancements
� Additional support for re-occurring calendar, task and all day event appointments.
� Automatic update of saved device name changes.
� Business card transfers with the same name as an existing business card saved on the iPAQ will no longer over-write existing business card. A new contact will be created.
� File selection for a file transfer has been improved to allow all sub directories under My Documents folder to be viewed.
� When a new devices with support for DUN initiates a successful bond with the iPAQ, it will be saved in the default All Devices folder and be made default DUN connection if no other DUN device has been previously saved and made default DUN connection in All Devices group.
� When Bluetooth Radio is turned off, the BTM menu icon on Today screen will gray out menu items not selectable.
� New icons added for Camera, Display, Scanner and Printer devices.
� Improved behavior and enhanced messages for events such as jacket removal, attempting to start Bluetooth Manager when no hardware is present or radio is off, unable to load Bluetooth Stack due to memory limitations, etc.
� Several improvements in the installation and un-installation of Bluetooth Manager. Ability to uninstall without connecting to PC.

This supports US English, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish and is for all models that use BlueTooth, not just the 3870 series with integrated BlueTooth. Thanks to Dale for posting this on Pocket PC Passion.

Old 04-22-2002, 09:49 PM
marlof

Don't let the typo in the date of the update (sometimes it states April 18, 2001, which should be April 18, 2002!) fool you: version 1.1 that Ed points to with this post is the newest update, and updates the previously released 1.0.12 version update. My iPAQ originally came with version 1.0.11 (as I skipped the previous update, I could still verify).

Old 04-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Balsky
Pupil
Default Bluetooth Stack error fixed? Nope!

What's pretty important is that it doesn't really fix the Bluetooth Stack error. It just asks you if you want to soft reset now or not.

That's very bad. This is the most annoying 3870 bug. They should have fixed that somehow and left the other things out instead.

-Dan.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:13 PM
marlof

And I had so much hope that this would cure the Bluetooth Stack Error once and for all. Sigh. Although I do understand that implementing a better error notification is easier to do than curing the error.

Old 04-23-2002, 12:59 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Aargh. Just noticed the same thing. To be more specific, the driver says that "we can't turn on the bluetooth stack because there's not enough driver memory, do you want to soft reset?"

Is this a problem with the PPC2002 OS? That is, after you ActiveSync, there's not enough driver memory on the heap (or somesuch) to load the Bluetooth stack?

I'm starting to think I should leave the BT stack on all the time now and see if that helps. The long delay for turning the BT stack is gone.

--bdj

Old 04-23-2002, 01:23 AM
crashdau
Ponderer

ops: I know it says on the web site that it is for the 38XX series, but, has anyone tried it on the 3835 yet? and did you notice any benefits from it?

crashDAU

Old 04-23-2002, 04:50 AM
eosd30
Pupil
Default Attention iPAQ BlueTooth users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/...oad/14376.html

Compaq has released what looks like a COMPREHENSIVE BlueTooth update. Here is what the notes have:

Fixes
� Reduced the radio startup time on a power cycle of the iPAQ.
� Improved reliability of application on repeated power cycles of the iPAQ to prevent system lockup.
These two issues have been very annoying to me.

Although I'm disappointed that they still haven't figured out the Bluetooth stack thing, I'm happy they at least addressed the above two problems. I just installed the softPaq now, let's see what happens...

Vic

Old 04-23-2002, 05:48 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdau
I know it says on the web site that it is for the 38XX series, but, has anyone tried it on the 3835 yet? and did you notice any benefits from it?
Only if you use your iPAQ in conjunction with Compaq's Bluetooth sleeve. If not, why would you want to waste memory with a driver that you don't need?

Old 04-23-2002, 06:49 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

I actually used to get the stack error on my H3660, but I realised that it was only because the installation form ActiveSync doesn't work. You have to install from the CD for all the registry changes to be made. Maybe there's some issue with the ROM on some of the H3870s such that the registry is all screwed up by default.

Daniel

Old 04-23-2002, 07:24 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

One additional -unmentioned- fix is that the Bluetooth stuff doesn't grab the focus about 2 seconds after powering the iPAQ up. It was nagging me deeply when I turned it on, pulled down the Start menu and then see it disappear due to the $%& driver doing some initialization. Maybe it's a side effect of speeding up the initialization phase.