Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Do you ever just not feel, you know, fresh?

I install a lot of 3rd party applications on my HP 565, and despite having an iPAQ 3870 that I swore would be my "beta device", I always install applications onto my HP 565 to test them. Inevitably, after a few months I end up with a sluggish device that just doesn't quite work the way it used to. Even after un-installing everything I installed, it's not quite as fast as it should be. Ditto for Windows XP on my desktop - why is this a common factor in all Microsoft operating systems? Does the same thing happen on Linux or Macs?

At any rate, I decided to hard reset my HP 565 and start over - and once again I'm amazed at how fast and responsive it is. I name my all computers after feudal Japanese weapons and cultural elements, so my main Pocket PC is always "LittleShogun". Here's where the Pocket PC really starts to fall flat on it's face: restoring a device. If I were to put it in the cradle without first changing the device name, it would create a partnership with Pocket_PC (the default name), completely ignoring the fact that I already have a profile set up and several files that I want to put on the device. Why doesn't it ask if a profile already created should be restored? I changed the device name to "LittteShogun" and deleted the old partnership name before I synced because I've done this before. Yes, I made a typo in the name - which is where the fun started. It synched up just fine, but I was puzzled as to why my files didn't sync until I saw the typo. I changed the name of the device, synced it again, but ActiveSync isn't smart enough to change the name of the synched file folder.

Changing the name of the synchronize folder seems to have thrown ActiveSync into fits - I just tried to sync and I got a nice red "X" and a "Synchronization Error" message. No explanation, just an error. How does that help the user? My next sync attempt resulted in a locked up ActiveSync process that was constantly looking for changes - even after I took the device out of the cradle. Eventually I manually killed ActiveSync and restarted it, and now my Pocket PC is happy - but only after I hacked the registry to point at the properly spelled file sync folder. Augh! If someone like me struggles with this, what hope is there for all of you? ;-)

Old 04-16-2002, 07:47 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I've encountered the same headache time and time again. I hate the fact that I can't choose pre-existing profiles to sync with. Nothing like having duplicated data! mm mm good!

Old 04-16-2002, 08:04 PM
JonathanWardRogers
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to JonathanWardRogers
Default You're not alone

I've experienced the same thing. I now know I have to rename my Pocket PC before I sync the next time. One thing that does work the way I think it should is the restore. If you are restoring you Pocket PC, you can sign in as Guest and restore from any stg file and you'll get your old partnership back.

I've also experienced the sluggish response. I don't think it is the OS. I am a programmer, and I know how complicated it is to write an app that conforms to the windows logo standards. I don't think most programmers would even dream of doing this unless they're writing shrink-wrapped software (where they'd put the logo). The problem is, the logo requirements are there for a reason. When programmers ignore them (or rather, ignore the concepts behind them), they run the risk of "contaminating" (for lack of a better word) the system. Registry entries here, dlls there, everywhere a font font, etc. Even though these things have a very small impact on performance, they add up.

There is also the matter of memory management. Many programmers leave the memory management details to Windows. This works well in some cases, but can degrade system performance in others. Some programs just should not use the built in memory management - the app just doesn't fit the model.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that all Windows programmers are ignorant or have no talent. But it is a key factor in the stability and performance of the OS. Think of the typical Unix programmer compared to the typical Windows programmer. You have to have a lot more knowledge of how the OS works to effectively program in a Unix environment. Inevitably with this knowledge comes experience. Experience that the average VB user does not have, and probably never will have. Even in C++, this still holds true. The average Unix programmer is probably better (or at least knows more about how the OS works) than the average Windows programmer. I've heard so many Unix frea... uh... fans spew out complaint after self-righteous complaint about how unstable Windows is.

I'd love to see how stable Unix is with the windows programmer base developing for it. Of course, it would never happen, and that is Unix's strong point - experienced programmers with keener insights into the internal workings of the OS.

Getting back to the Pocket PC, I'd love to see more control over profiles in ActiveSync. Like, for instance, profile swapping. In my company, we have a few Pocket PCs that our technicians take with them in the field. Since we don't have overlapping shifts, we use the same Pocket PCs for the day and night shifts. Because of this, we don't allow software to be installed that would change or complicate the operation of the device. But if we could swap profiles, then we could allow them to install WIS bar, Gigabar, Dashboard, Agenda Fusion, etc.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Aaron
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to Aaron
Default ?

I thought after a hard reset you should connect as "guest" and then choose restore. This will restore your PPC and it's partnership, then soft reset the device and resync and voila! I've had to do this several times to get rid of apps that have clogged my PPC to a crawl.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:23 PM
JoeThielen
Pupil
Default You're not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanWardRogers
Registry entries here, dlls there, everywhere a font font, etc.
Oh my God... after reading the title, and this little tidbit, I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks you guys for brightening my day .

Old 04-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
I thought after a hard reset you should connect as "guest" and then choose restore. This will restore your PPC and it's partnership, then soft reset the device and resync and voila! I've had to do this several times to get rid of apps that have clogged my PPC to a crawl.
ActiveSync restore is plagued with issues, so I avoid it completely. There are too many minor things that can trip it up like city, time zone, etc.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:08 PM
charlie
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Even after un-installing everything I installed, it's not quite as fast as it should be. Ditto for Windows XP on my desktop - why is this a common factor in all Microsoft operating systems? Does the same thing happen on Linux or Macs?
does anyone running linux on their ipaq have any experience with this?

btw, since this is PocketPCThoughts and not really PocketPCAndSometimesAlternateOSesThoughts, are you going to delete my posts or whatever for talking about linux here?

charlie

Old 04-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
Aaron

You can do this, but if you are doing a hard reset to clean out your device, when you restore you are doing just that 'restoring it to the way it was before...sluggish.

What I have done that works very well, is once you have hard reset and set your device up the way you want, do a backup befoe you junk it up again, and save it. This way you don't need to reinstall everything, and you are not restoring all the junk you have collected along the way.

I have also had problems with e-mail and connection settings messing up on me and not being able to get them to work properly. When this happens I hard reset and restore to this backup. It works every time.

Dave

Old 04-16-2002, 11:06 PM
CME2C
Pupil

What I have done with my Pocket PCs is create a backup file that has my ideal information. I hard reset my device and then install all of my core programs that don't change. I will always have code wallet, always have pocket athlete, Pocket TV/Divx, etc. I then make a backup with these core programs. That way after I start to get overloaded I just hard reset and restore my device from backup (I use the CF backup utility on my Maestro and did the same with my ipaq previously Just keep the backup file somewhere safe or it will get overwritten. That way you only have to reinstall a few programs when you want to clean up. I can then try all the programs I want. After a month or so the "junk builds up and I just restore to the previous backup. If there are any new "core" programs I add them to my "core" backup and then feel free to try new programs. It now takes me a third of the time to hard reset my device. I definitely notice a performance difference resetting my device every couple of months.

Mike

Old 04-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
btw, since this is PocketPCThoughts and not really PocketPCAndSometimesAlternateOSesThoughts, are you going to delete my posts or whatever for talking about linux here?
No of course not! Heck, this server is running Linux. That will change later this year, but I'm not so thick-headed not to understand that Windows isn't the solution to everything. :-)