Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 coming to a store near you

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-8407129.html?tag=st.co.1087.boxhl.2709830-404-8407129

Finally, the first widely available Linux based PDA, nearly two years after people said iPAQ's would be flooding the street with Linux in the ROM. CNet has had it for a few days. "Sharp's new Linux-powered Zaurus SL-5500 may be one of the few PDAs that is able to challenge Pocket PC devices in terms of power, speed, and features. We've only just received a final production model for review and are deep in the midst of testing it. We'll have a complete review ready shortly, but here are our initial impressions. The SL-5500's hardware is similar to that of high-end Pocket PC devices. The 7.3-ounce device has a 206MHz Intel StrongARM processor, 64MB of RAM, and a very nice, 3.5-inch, 240x320-pixel color LCD. But the Zaurus has one unique feature that will surely earn it some fans: a thumb keyboard that's hidden under the device's thumb pad and application buttons."

"But why Linux? The open source OS has proven its mettle in Web servers, but it remains to be seen whether it is a better handheld solution than Palm or Pocket PC. The interface works much like Palm's, with tabbed pages that display lists of applications and documents."

Here is my thing. I am not sure about the keyboard. You hear so much hype about those thumb keyboards, and I know there are people that love them. But RIMM came up with it first, and last sales figures I heard on those were under 250,000 units in total sold, ever. Now the Handspring Treo has a model with it, and one without it, which I think is smart. But the Zaurus has it regardless. As does the new Sony NR-70. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination, but my thumbs are just too big for those little keys. I played with several thumb keyboards on both the iPAQ and Jornada when in Germany, and even those their that liked it and had used it a while could not keep up with me when I was using Fitaly, a SIP replacement designed for stylus input. And don't get me started on serious work, where the Stowaway full sized keyboard is the only option for touch typing. So for me, I wouldn't touch the Zaurus because of the hardware. Just my humble opinion, but these things should be options, as Compaq, HP and Handspring have made them for their devices. Not forced with single model as Sony and Sharp have done. Maybe it is just me. I really don't know where the keys are on my laptop's keyboard. Tell me to pick out a letter and I have to look for it, unless my hands are in the home position, then my fingers just find the keys themselves. With the thumb keyboard, it is all hunt and peck for me. :-(

What do you think? Thanks to Mobile Bob for the link.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:52 PM
dochall
Intellectual

I thought the first widely available Linux based PDA was the Ipaq :P

Old 03-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

Ed, I agree with you completely about the thumbboard concept. Here's the thing: On the Blackberry it works for several reasons:
1) The orientation of the original Blackberry was landscape. As a result the thumbboard is wider (and, therefore, more usable) than the thumbboards that appear on Palm's, PPC's, the Treo, and this device.
2) The Blackberry OS was designed around the thumbboard and scroll wheel. Everything you need to do can be done with your fingers. You never need to pick up a stylus.
3) Again, because of the orientation of the device, it's comfortable to hold like this for extended periods of time. The device is not "top-heavy" (which is the case for add-ons to Palms/PPCs, etc.)

IMO, when you're dealing with a Palm or PPC (or this Zaurus device), incorporating a keyboard is troublesome for the reasons just defined. In the case of the Zaurus, they actually thought some of this through and added additional buttons to quickly access features which you would otherwise need a stylus for. Nevertheless, even this will be troublesome.

When dealing with these sorts of devices, I think the best method of input is Graffiti or FITALY (Graffiti having the edge in terms of "heads-up" ability - FITALY having an edge in speed). If you want to do extensive data input, you should supplement this with a stowaway keyboard.

So, in short, the thumbboard is a well thought out and completely usable solution for the Blackberry but is more of a "grafted in" solution for a Palm or PPC.

Scott

Old 03-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Having used the Zaurus for a few days last month, I will say one thing in favor of the thumbboard. Because the lower portion of the PDA slides down to uncover the board, the balance of the device is actually enhanced. With the add-on thumbboards, the device (IMO) is thrown out of balance and it's fairly difficult to hold onto the thing while trying to type.

I've never used any other Linux-based PDA, but one other thing struck me about this one...It appeared to me as though the developers tried to get way too much stuff onto each screen. It's always been a challenge to balance screen usability and the desire to reduce the amount of scrolling needed, but the result on the Zaurus was a collection of very tiny buttons and icons that absolutely could not be selected except with a stylus. At least on my Pocket PC many of the buttons are large enough (like the alarm dismiss button) that I can use my fat fingers if need be.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual

I was under the impression that the Zaurus include some form of pen input as well, maybe not a Graffiti or Transcriber clone, but at least a pop up on screen keyboard. Surely the thumbboard isn't the only means of data input, right?

Old 03-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Right. It also has pen input, although I don't recall if it's true Grafitti or something else.

Old 03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Aceze
Ponderer

Yes, it does have Graffiti style input - even to the point of allowing you to specify your own stroke pattern for every character (something people have been on about for the longest time for Transcriber/Calligrapher).

As far as user experiences (that I've seen from various webboards), the keyboard is quite good - with most people quite happy with it. In fact, there are a few cases where Fitaly users (to reference your original sentiment) have dropped it altogether for the thumbboard.

As for the RIM Blackberry numbers - where did you get this particular figure? I was of the impression that market penetration was far higher than that...

Also, Ed, I find it odd that you're so down on the Zaurus just because of the keyboard... a user doesnt _have_ to use it if he/she doesnt want to! And at a price point lower than a stock PPC2002 device, it's not like they're paying more for this extra input feature... I dunno Ed, the more I read your article, the more it looks like you're just looking for something to criticise about the Zaurus.

I do hope, however, that someone makes an external keyboard for this. The Hancom office suite seems to be everything Pocket Office should have been and then some!

Aceze

Old 03-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Lotak
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Lotak Send a message via AIM to Lotak Send a message via MSN to Lotak

Usable or not, I can't be alone in thinking it just looks really darn cool when the bottom part slides down to reveal the keyboard.

Old 03-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceze
Also, Ed, I find it odd that you're so down on the Zaurus just because of the keyboard... a user doesnt _have_ to use it if he/she doesnt want to! And at a price point lower than a stock PPC2002 device, it's not like they're paying more for this extra input feature... I dunno Ed, the more I read your article, the more it looks like you're just looking for something to criticise about the Zaurus.
No, not up or down on it. Thought it interesting, and used it as a springboard to express my opinions on the sudden proliferation of thumb keyboards.

Old 03-29-2002, 09:10 PM
mrarkus
Neophyte
Default I agree...

... with Aceze.

I would bet $2 that if a keboard design like this showed up on a Jornada or an iPAQ, everybody would be regarding this as the greatest thing since sliced bread. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but you know what I mean. Dual input methods, out of the way when you don't need it, and doesn't add any perceived cost, and Ed doesn't like it?

OK, enough of that. As I'm writing this I have both the SL-5500 and my HP 568 sitting side-by-side. I got the HP two weeks ago and the Sharp just arrived yesterday from Amazon. When I first read about the Sharp, I thought immediately about returning the HP. Now that I got the SL-5500 in my hands, I'm sorry to say that it will be going back. It is a nice start, but they still have ways to go. The PIM has as simplistic as the Palm but even less intuitive than the Pocket PCs, the total interface has a lot of inconsistencies, and like somebody said before, the screen looks very cluttered. I really dislike the screen (it is practically unusable without the sidelight on 100% in my office, where the Jornada is just fine with the sidelight turned off), very unevenly lit (I thought my Jornada was a bit unevenly lit...until I saw the Zaurus...) And the battery life is downright criminal. My old Casio E115 lasted twice as long as the Sharp. Constantly playing with it and with the sidelight on max the battery ran down in under 2 hours. 2 hours!!

On the other hand I think that the Zaurus is the first real alternative to the Pocket PCs for the power users.

In a way I think they are following in the footsteps of Microsoft. It took MS three tries before they got it (almost) right. The one positive is that Sharp will not artificially limit the functionality of the build-in apps, like MS is doing with Word and Excel. If all goes well, I'll be in the market for the SL-6000.