Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 03-25-2002, 06:39 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Piloting Palm

http://pilotingpalm.com

I downloaded this book Friday evening and started reading it Saturday afternoon, and could hardly put my iPAQ down for two days. I don't recall ever reading a book like this in two days. It is absolutely engrossing, both from a business and technological perspective.

I know all about the Newton, but the fact is, Palm put the PDA on the map and made it a viable product, and was quite possibly the best PDA on the market, until April 19, 2000. :-D This is a fascinating look into the mind of Jeff Hawkins and the industry he created. Bookmark the Piloting Palm web site too. They will be providing additional chapters as the Palm story continues to unfold.

Go to Peanut Press to download a copy for reading on your Pocket PC using the free Palm Reader. The screenshot above is on the Pro version of the reader, adding right margin justification and dictionary support. Otherwise, the free reader looks identical, including ClearType support.

If you are a Luddite or just want the dead tree version for your bookshelf when you're done, go to Amazon using this affiliate link. ;-)

Finally, don't post any information on the book itself in this thread. I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't read the book yet. I have created a new thread here to discuss the book itself.

Old 03-25-2002, 07:09 PM
marlof

Whoa! I downloaded this two days ago, and my hands are itching to start reading. And now even more.

Old 03-25-2002, 07:25 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Remember those 1000 dollar Ipaq days, man this brings back memories....

Old 03-25-2002, 08:02 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Piloting Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
http://pilotingpalm.com

I know all about the Newton, but the fact is, Palm put the PDA on the map and made it a viable product, and was quite possibly the best PDA on the market, until April 19, 2000. :-D This is a fascinating look into the mind of Jeff Hawkins and the industry he created. Bookmark the Piloting Palm web site too. They will be providing additional chapters as the Palm story continues to unfold.
Psion very successfully developed the original PDA back in the 80's and for some considerable time there was no competition - they further set the standard with their award winning 3 series. Palm certainly defined the original standard for pen operated devices, but they came later.

Old 03-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Chubbergott
Ponderer
Default Piloting Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph
Psion very successfully developed the original PDA back in the 80's and for some considerable time there was no competition - they further set the standard with their award winning 3 series. Palm certainly defined the original standard for pen operated devices, but they came later.
8) Well said!

Old 03-25-2002, 08:11 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

They may have come later (palm and pen based) but they are the standard now, and have become ubiquitous, hence why everyone calls a pda a "palm", ever heard anyone call a pda a Psion unless it was a Psion?

Old 03-25-2002, 08:17 PM
marlof

Jeremiah, there is a world outside the US you know. Palm never took off as big in Europe as in the US. And yes, when I ran around with my Velo 1, people asked me if that was a new Psion. :-)

Old 03-25-2002, 08:31 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Oh you mean like places across that blue thing called the ocean? :P
Even so PDA's have been generically called "Palms" since becoming mainstream and selling millions worldwide ( maybe not as many in europe but millions somewhere!), and by mainstream I am talking everyone from highschool students to corporate CEO's, also with media references any given tv show that has included a handheld refers to it as a "Palm" , sorry I should have clarified my frame of reference! I will try to broaden my horizons but hey I live in US and can only speak from that frame of reference.

Old 03-25-2002, 08:39 PM
AZMark
Intellectual
Default ?

Guess they'd still be selling them if they were so popular?

Anyway, everyone check out the new Stephen King book out there as well. Very good short stories from King and well worth the 19 bucks,,,(sorry that US bucks you do the conversion).

Interesting that B&N is selling the MSReader version for 22.00 and the hard cover for 19.00. Does this make any since?

AZMark

Old 03-25-2002, 09:15 PM
marlof

Psion - alas - went downhill fast. They had great things going with the 3 series, the 5 series and even the Revo. But then innovation halted, and they could no longer compete. ( Hmmm.... what does that remind me off? ) There were many, many rumors about the next great thing, the penbased Psion. But that one never saw the daylight.