Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-17-2002, 12:57 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Palm Reader Pro for Pocket PC

http://www.peanutpress.com/reader.cgi/4

The people of Palm Digital Media have released the Pro version of their Palm Reader for the Pocket PC. The basic version remains a free download, but the Pro version will cost $9,95 or $19,95 when bundled with the Agfa Monotype Font pack.

What's the difference between the basic and the Pro version? The Pro version has new features such as dictionary lookup, full text justification and autoscroll. Next to that, the Pro version comes bundled with the Webster's New World Vest Pocket Dictionary.

Old 03-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Ed Hansberry

DOH! Marlof beat me to this one. :lol: This is a great reader. ClearType supported, little battery meter, nice progress indicator, etc. Plus, I love the Peanut Press form of DRM, which basically just links the book to your credit card. Great job guys! I've been beta-testing the Pro version for a few months and it is well worth the money!

Old 03-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual

I picked this up yesterday afternoon and I'm very happy with it. Now if only Palm would make it as no-brainer easy to convert HTML pages to ebooks as Microsoft does with their .lit-making Word plugin, I'd never have to use MS Reader at all.

Palm Reader Pro is definitely the best ebook reader on the market though, and I agree with Ed that they're also one of the few ebook sellers with agreeable DRM.

Old 03-17-2002, 06:03 PM
disconnected
Sage

I just downloaded this too, and am very pleased, although I would like a later dictionary. I bought the largest one, and it was published in 1994; Amazon has something called Webster's II New College Dictionary which it says is revised to include newer technical and scientific terms; that might be a good one to have as an ebook.

I've noticed that a few mystery authors whose books I've bought at PeanutPress have new books that are not yet available as ebooks; I hope this isn't a trend.

Old 03-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirvin
Now if only Palm would make it as no-brainer easy to convert HTML pages to ebooks as Microsoft does with their .lit-making Word plugin, I'd never have to use MS Reader at all.
My primary reason for using MS Reader in many cases is because of its simple Word plugin for quick conversions and very straight foward Overdrive Readerworks for converting large HTML files. THe DROPBOOK.EXE offered by Palm just isn't as easy to use when you want to add formatting IMHO. And when there is a conversion problem, it is very difficult to track down and fix.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Small Town Man
Ponderer

you will find a list of converters here:

http://www.memoware.com/mw-helpm.htm

Old 03-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Man
you will find a list of converters here:

http://www.memoware.com/mw-helpm.htm
But I only see two converters that convert to the Palm Markup Language used by the reader - DropBook and MakeBook, and both use Text as the input. I would like something that would convert multiple HTML files (one per chapter for example) into one Palm Reader ebook. Any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2002, 09:35 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual
Default Weird Bug

Okay, now I'm less thrilled with my $9.95 purchase. Palm Reader Pro keeps "forgetting" my place when I switch between books on my Jornada! Sometimes it's off by a few pages (opening to page 12 of a book instead of 10, for example), but sometimes it just gives up trying and sends me all the way back to the cover page. I tend to read three or four books a time, switching back and forth as the mood strikes me, so this is completely unacceptable. Ed, how did this make it out of beta testing?

I've submitted a bug report to Palm, so we'll see if/how fast they fix it. Given Palm's "policy of denial" about the m505 USB problem, I'm not optimistic.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Weird Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirvin
Ed, how did this make it out of beta testing?
I dunno. Never saw that problem. You will get an answer. Peter is very good and sort of in his own world over there, he listens to users. You need to tell them what ebook you are using if it is one of theirs, or how it was formatted if one of yours.

Old 03-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual
Default Got it!

Okay, I've ferretted out the problem. I think it has to do with a registry setting, because after deleting the Palm Reader Pro executable and replacing it with the "normal" version of Palm Reader, I still had the problem.

The problem is that if you open a new book by tapping Book -> Open, it doesn't save the state of the book you're currently reading. If you want to switch from one book to another, you have to manually close the book by tapping Book -> Close before opening another book. Tapping Book -> Exit will also save state properly.

So there is a work around, but it's still a pain in the rump. Heh. I should get a job in software testing...