Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Pocket PC firewall

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020314/tc_nm/tech_israel_checkpoint_dc_1016107650&cid=581

The company Check Point Software Technologies are preparing for the wireless future. I totally buy into the vision that all mobile, connected devices should be first class Internet citizens with their own IP addresses and Web Services. From that vision, a personal firewall running on my Pocket PC is not far away.

Check Point Software Technologies has been working on Windows CE related products for quite a while, including various VPN-, gateway-, firewall- and security management products.

(Thanks to Jonathan (JonnoB) Blackwell and Chris Coulter for the link!)

UPDATE: I received some clarifying words regarding this product: It is an integrated firewall/VPN client that is centrally managed from a management console. It is a full fledged highly granular firewall. It has both outgoing and incoming firewall policy rules that can be tailored for specific users. It has a packaging tool for distribution services, that can be prebuilt then pushed out for a seamless or silent install. It can do version checking of not only the most up to date client build but poll for other software like virus detection or internet explorer clients. This is a more secure solution than a personal firewall because it is centrally managed from the Corporate HDQ. The end user cannot uninstall it. They also can be given the option of whether or not they can disable it. This could be for personal use or if they need to disable for a particular reason. It can also be combined with strong two factor authentication or things like content filtering or virus detection at the gateway. In order for personal users to take advantage of this they would need to purchase a CheckPoint S-box or Small Office Appliance. Then they could VPN in to home or office. The S-box will retail for $399 with VPN. It goes up to 25 users. You also need to purchase the secureclients at $100 each.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:31 PM
RobertCF
Ponderer
Default The right direction

That's all well and good, but the absolutely critical thing I'm waiting for is impervious encryption over the air. The whole problem with wireless is that it can be "snatched". A firewall is useless if a hacker can grab what he/she needs out of the air. The Department of Defense is one of the largest IT users and one of the largest employers, and they aren't about to budge in to the wireless arena until they can be guaranteed C2 standards and absolute protection of wireless data.

Old 03-15-2002, 05:55 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

I think the VPN side of this product would provide the encryption that you are looking for if it supports AES. As you can see at the following link, VPN-1 is supposed to support AES.

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/s...pn-1_srsc.html