Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default BMW uses Windows CE

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:MSFT&Feed=PR&Date=20020304&ID=1462271

This is another post slightly off topic dealing with Windows CE in general rather than the Pocket PC in particular and is a follow-up to Andy's post last week.

"Microsoft Corp. MSFT today announced that the BMW 7 Series, the line of cars introduced last month in the United States, features Microsoft's robust, real-time embedded operating system, Windows(R) CE. This announcement comes shortly after Microsoft's Automotive Business Unit launched Windows CE for Automotive v3.5, the newest version of its telematics software platform based on Windows CE, and announced an end-to-end solution to enable the auto industry to cost-effectively implement and maintain advanced automotive telematics. "

Now, this has some bearing on Pocket PC's, or at least it could. For each and every company out there using Windows CE, be it in a 4.4L, 325 hp, 6spd $84,845 car (am I the only one that makes car noises when reading that sort of thing?) or a simple gas pump, what type of PDA do you think they will be buying for their sales force, plant foremen and executives to enable them to keep up with their schedule, to connect to data warehouses, listen to digital training material, etc? :-)

Old 03-04-2002, 03:27 PM
JoeThielen
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
(am I the only one that makes car noises when reading that sort of thing?)
Yeah, I can see it now.... 'invalid or missing DLL in "Breaks.exe", unable to execute'...

AHHHHHHH.... *CRASH*.

:roll:

Hey, someone was going to say it... might as well be me! ops:

Old 03-04-2002, 04:25 PM
heliod
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThielen
Quote:
(am I the only one that makes car noises when reading that sort of thing?)
Yeah, I can see it now.... 'invalid or missing DLL in "Breaks.exe", unable to execute'...

AHHHHHHH.... *CRASH*.

This comment just reminds me of a picture someone sent to my site when there was the gossip about Microsoft and Ericsson joining forces for a SmartPhone:

[img] http://pocketpcfreak.tripod.com/News...-CellPhone.jpg [/img]

Old 03-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThielen

AHHHHHHH.... *CRASH*.

Joe - ever had a bad .dll on your Pocket PC (forgetting pathetically written third party apps)

Besides - this is being used for the entertainment/nav system.

Old 03-04-2002, 05:05 PM
jlc, just jlc
Ponderer

Great, now I can get BSOD in my car - I guess that's what MS means by putting the Windows experience everywher (and Yes, I have seen MS's hotel management system as well as airport infromation systems crash and display error messages).

Old 03-04-2002, 05:10 PM
/dev/niall
Ponderer

Quote:
Joe - ever had a bad .dll on your Pocket PC (forgetting pathetically written third party apps)
I'm guessing he was making a joke.

Old 03-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/niall
I suppose. It just gets old people talking about Windows reliability and basing everything on Win3.1/Win9x code base. NT/CE are very stable products and are no more likely to crash than Unix. We have some NT4 & Win2K servers here that haven't been rebooted in months.

Old 03-04-2002, 06:15 PM
new_chubbergott
Neophyte

:lol: And of course, if your car breaks down, just close all the windows, open them up again and all will be well (just don't customize it or you'll have to buy the car again).

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/niall

NT/CE are very stable products and are no more likely to crash than Unix.

I don't think that's strictly true, but, I'll grant that it does depend what you use them for.

We have a number of NT and UN*X servers in our heavy aircraft maintenance engineering facility and the most reliable by a very long way are the UN*X servers which only go down when we tell them to. That's why they are the machines that deal with the mission critical functions and we leave the NT machines to handle the lighter duties of storing files and sharing printers.

Old 03-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

I seem to recall Jason pointing out that this was a Pocket PC site when asked why he wouldn't include Palm (and other PDA) forums. Yet these stories don't really have anything to do with the Pocket PC.

Scott

Old 03-04-2002, 06:36 PM
/dev/niall
Ponderer

Quote:
I suppose. It just gets old people talking about Windows reliability and basing everything on Win3.1/Win9x code base. NT/CE are very stable products and are no more likely to crash than Unix. We have some NT4 & Win2K servers here that haven't been rebooted in months.
I will agree that such jokes can get old, but they're funny for a reason. I'm sure you can remember the pain of blue screens and error dialogs because of odd hardware combinations, bad drivers, etc. It helps to laugh.
That being said, my Win2k desktop only crashes when I use my Radeon to view television. I have no illusions as to where the fault lies (ATI and it's poor drivers), but why does it need to take down the entire operating system? That's bad OS design, and proof that NT still has work ahead. I've also had my PocketPC hang because of an errant application. That too is bad OS design, and that's why I find things like this funny - I can relate.