Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Make music with Griff

http://www.planetgriff.com/galleria.php

One thing that thrills me about the Pocket PC is the sheer power it offers for developers to create mind-blowing apps. Griff is one such application: you'd never believe a Pocket PC could do all of this! I'm a musician, but I don't do any sampling/sequencing so most of this is above my head. Still, I recognize potential when I see it, and for some people, this is the killer app they've been waiting for.

"Griff is a Portable Music Studio for the PocketPC. Including Synths, Samplers, Effects (Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Flanger, Distortion), PianoRoll Sequencer and full automation Griff provides everything you need to compose anytime, anyplace. Griff Incorporates a Plugin architecture allowing developers to create new synths and effects. Griff Exports to WAV and MIDI."

There's a great PocketNow review of Griff worth reading if you'd like to learn more about how this program works. I installed it on an Casio EM-500 and it was quite slow - this app really needs the 206 Mhz StrongARM juice to keep it moving quick.

Old 02-28-2002, 09:08 PM
tekguru
Ponderer

Looks like we're all at it, the Tekguru review is at:

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/PPC_Reviews/griff/index.htm

Old 02-28-2002, 09:09 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I love to see apps like this. I just wish that PhoenixStudio would work on ARM machines. http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=2754. This app was posted on PPCT a long time ago. and I looked into it. Held lots of promise, but just completely disappeared after it's initial release.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

I wonder if this will be able to use the MPort MIDI interface to sequence live input?

Old 02-28-2002, 11:17 PM
bblock
Ponderer

Ooohh - if it is, I'm all over it. I've been wanting a way to 'take my music with me', from a creation standpoint (as opposed to an MP3 player). I want to get a small keyboard with MIDI, and the MPort plus this app might just be the cat's meow. I'd definitely be willing to spend the money if it is.

Old 03-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Daniel Webb
Pupil

> I wonder if this will be able to use the MPort MIDI interface to sequence live input?

We are in talks with the MPort people about interfacing with their hardware. Realtime MIDI in/out will be nice.

The PocketPC screen is fantastic for tweaking parameters in realtime via knobs/sliders etc..

Old 03-05-2002, 10:15 AM
mecca17
Neophyte

:cry:

I'm sure Griff is a great program, but I own a Audiovox PDA1032C, which is a 32MB version of the 64MB Toshiba e570. When I tried to install Griff, the files transferred, but when prompted to start a new project, my PDA froze and it has been frozen ever since.

I'm kind of waiting for the batteries to deplete, and I just noticed the FUNNIEST thing....

My unit doesn't have a RESET BUTTON.... how nice for me!!! I seemed to have not noticed that fact when I purchased it.

If anyone has any suggestions, especially people who are using the Griff demo, please let me know.

a million thanks in advance,

P.S.,

Until I figure out my particular problem, I suggest users of Pocket PCs with less than 64MB to stay away from this program.

-mecca17

Old 03-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Daniel Webb
Pupil

> Until I figure out my particular problem, I suggest users of Pocket PCs with less than 64MB to stay away from this program.

I don't think the memory is the problem here. We have a lot of users using 32mb devices, although I'm not aware of anyone using the Audiovox.

Why don't you ask on the Email group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planetgriff), someone there may be using the same device.

Regards

Daniel Webb