Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-25-2002, 12:20 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Gaming on the Smartphone 2002

Since we're talking Smartphone 2002 today, one of the things I know I'll like better in a smartphone than in my old voice-only phone, is the ability to add software. Gaming could be one of the areas that will be big. Nokia knows this too. In my country they make the gaming options on the Communicator very clear to prospective buyers.

I talked with Larry Bank, the guy who ported Pac-Man to the Pocket PC. Around the Pocket PC launch Pac-Man was in the Funpack that many new Pocket PC users in the US could get for free. It was a nice showcase for the gaming possibilities of the Pocket PC. Now Larry is thinking about the possibility to put games like Pac-Man on the Smartphone 2002.

I'm curious what you think about that, so let's do a little poll on the subject: "Would you like games like Pac-Man on your Smartphone 2002?" If you vote yes, could you also post what game you would like to see?

Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
tonyv
Pupil

There is no question that the most used program on my PocketPC is Pocket Slay, followed distantly by Freecell. I've also found that it's great to keep a few simple games on my iPAQ to amuse my 2 1/2 year old. She likes Oliver's Action Pack and PocketPop.

Old 02-25-2002, 04:59 PM
rfischer
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to rfischer Send a message via MSN to rfischer Send a message via Yahoo to rfischer
Default Games on the SmartPhone

I am addicted to Mille Bornes, PocketPop, Backgammon on my E-115. I would love to be able to install these on a SmartPhone. This is of course in the hopes that one will be released in the US!

Old 02-25-2002, 05:28 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default wireless gaming

I think this is an excellent opportunity for their to be some great network based games by already having internet and direct-connect connectivity in the device. I think people will underestimate the value of online gaming on a portable device. Someone on the way home from work, waiting in line for some event, whatever....

Phone companies will love it and offer it free as they will get to sell more minutes and/or transfer MBs.

-Jonathan

Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

How about checkers/chess network style, turn based games would be great on the smartphone.

Old 02-25-2002, 06:07 PM
pocketfuncouk
Neophyte
Default PocketPop will be ported across

Yep, the subject line says it all.

PocketFun.co.uk

Old 02-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

I would love TS client on it.. that would rock!!!

Old 02-25-2002, 08:18 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

TS Client? What kind of game is that?

Old 02-25-2002, 08:56 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Gaming on the Smartphone 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
Since we're talking Smartphone 2002 today: one of the things I know I will like better in a smartphone than in my old voice only phone, is the ability to add software. Gaming could be one of the area's that will be big.
Plastic fantastic, do you know girls, boys that most spread way of playing games on mobile phones will be Java? See http://midlet.org !!!

Do you know that first phone with Microsoft's Smartphone 2002 : Sendo Z100 - will also hava Java J2ME/MIDP because operators FORCED VIOLENTLY this vendor to include it, not because Small-Soft wanted it!!!

And Java games will be running not only on some bloody expensive smartphones but also on very cheap phones of price around 100 bucks. When? Already this summer. Why so late? No problem, already iDEN phones in USA, Siemens and Motorola offer some models with Java but now it willl be hundreds of millions of them.

So to fullfill purpose "to play games on mobile phone" one does not need any smartphone OS, neither Microsoft's nor Symbian nor Palm. Java will do it...

So, gaming here it comes, but maybe not so as you expect it,...

By the way: where the heck can I download SDK for MS Smartphone 2002????? Everybody pretends to have it but nobody can point to place where it is...

...................................... plastic fanstastic!!!

Old 02-25-2002, 09:07 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Yeah but they'd have to be written in Java at some point....they won't be direct ports of existing games, it's much quicker to port using the SDK with tools programmers are familiar with(C visual Basic) and the added use of API's for hooks than to use your friend Java, Java is neat but it isn't everything sure when it's all you got for programming it's nice and portable but why limit yourself to ONLY Java, i'd rather have it as an add-on with your motorola and such you have no choice and that's all you can program in... talk about boring!