Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP dials in Pocket PC for new handheld

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-839725.html

Come to pappa my sweet Jornada 928!

"Hewlett-Packard on Tuesday is expected to unveil a new version of its Jornada handheld in Europe that can make cell phone calls and send and receive e-mail wirelessly...

...The Jornada will allow voice calls over GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) and GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) networks. In addition, the Jornada incorporates voice-activated dialing and wireless Web surfing. A device similar to the one launched initially in Europe and Asia this summer will be available in the United States by the end of 2002. Pricing for the Jornada device and the required wireless service has not been set.

The Jornada uses a 133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor and contains 64MB of memory and a lithium-polymer rechargeable battery. Like its predecessors, the Jornada comes with a CompactFlash Type I slot for expansion cards. The device is 0.7 inches thick, 3.1 inches wide and 5.4 inches long, and weighs 6.8 ounces."

Source: Marc Zimmermann

Old 02-19-2002, 07:33 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default 64MB

Sure glad to read that they decided on 64mb.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:49 AM
johnm
Ponderer
Default TI processor

133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor ?

I was under the impression that Microsoft decided to limit PPC2002 support to just the ARM family.[/img]

Old 02-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Indeed, OMAP processor? Is this just the DSP or what?

64MB is a good thing though.

daniel

Old 02-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual
Default TI processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm
133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor ?
This info refers to the wireless part:
http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01190.htm

Old 02-19-2002, 08:16 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Indeed, OMAP processor? Is this just the DSP or what?
It is just the phone DSP. Still uses 206Mhz StrongArm for main CPU.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
It is just the phone DSP. Still uses 206Mhz StrongArm for main CPU.
Thanks.

daniel

Old 02-19-2002, 09:18 AM
slalvani
Neophyte

:twisted:
Over the past 4 months, I have spent a fortune buying a new Journada 568 (I defected from the iPaq camp), the cover keyboard, the extended battery and PC card jacket.

This now all works beautifully with my GSM Nokia PC card as a truly wireless device (all except voice). I can even chat away on MSN Messenger while in the car.

Now (being a delared PPC addict) will have to junk all of the above and upgrade to this dream baby on the day of its release. Thanks alot Carly!

Now, my real concern is about my other accessories. Will they still work, or do they get junked as well? I would be happy to junk my now beloved cover keyboard if the 968 has one built in - this is the best development on PDA's since PPC2000.

Sunil

Old 02-19-2002, 09:37 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default 928 / 568 accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalvani
Now, my real concern is about my other accessories. Will they still work, or do they get junked as well?
It appears from the looks of the 928 that most of the accessories will work as is. I think that HP did it right with the expandable/swappable battery, snap on keyboard, etc. I hope we see more like it.

Old 02-19-2002, 10:44 AM
st63z
Philosopher

I'm wondering why people are getting excited over a StrongARM wireless PPC to be released in the same time frame as XScale (wireless/non-wireless) PPCs...

I'm also wondering about the use of both the SA-1110 and the TI OMAP 710 -- seems like a lot of overlap redundancy in the hardware (I could be wrong but it looks like the TCS2500 is a complete SOC solution). I assume the software will coordinate the hard division of labor so that the OMAP is used only for specific tasks, but still, I'd be interested in the power consumption of simultaneous usage...?