Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Jornada USB Sync & Charge Cable

http://www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&page=icalhotsynch.html

Since I use the my Jornada 565 full time now, there are some iPAQ accessories that I miss. One of them is the USB sync & charge cable - I liked not having the cradle on my desktop and of course for travelling, the single cable was awesome. They've been out for the iPAQ for about a year now, but not for any other device. Jornada users rejoice! DreamPages, one of our affiliate partners, is selling a Jornada 54x/56x USB sync & charge cable that I'm interested in getting my hands on.

They also have one for 3800 series iPAQs that's worth checking out if you're an iPAQ 3800 owner.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:28 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default schematics?

It probably won't be long before we see the schematics and project details for something like this. Sure would make charging my 568 handy.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:09 PM
dreampages
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to dreampages

JonnoB ,

This works with the 567 & 568 as well.

Larry

Old 02-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

I called Belkin today and they said that they have a shipment coming in this week.

They'll have them for $19.99 + $7.50 shipped ground (I think it was $10.50 for 3-day service).

Old 02-18-2002, 09:25 PM
ChrisW
Ponderer
Default Nifty cable

I've got one of these devices (purchased from this very vendor) and it works quite well . For one-third the price of the comparable OEM equipment, it's excellent.

I have one little complaint that I'm willing to overlook for the price:
- Inserting the power connector took some learning. You can't push it straight in; you must start from above, angled down to the hole, and push in and down at the same time.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default Belkin's Car Plug and Charge and Sync

I would definitely steer folks towards the Belkin Charge & Sync Cable. It comes with a 12V DC power adapter. Basically it's a cig lighter to USB power plug.

I'm sure that other vendors Charge & Sync cable would work with this plug. However, I haven't been able to find a 12V to USB power adapter anywhere else.

When your mobile, the fewer cables the better. This power plug will allow users to ditch (or not buy at all) a 12V Car to power plug (for your particular device).

The next generation car power systems should be coming out soon. As I recall the new systems will work on 45V and have a modular power plug as opposed to a cig lighter. Those wanting to light cigarettes must purchase an adapter :-)

Off topic. I've noticed that RadioShack is offering some universal modular power adapters for mobile devices. Basically you purchase an adapter for AC or 12V-DC plus attachment(s) for your particular device.

I love clever stuff. Just remember that the Jornada 56x series does cannot charge AND operate from the 100mA supplied by USB. You would have to turn off the device to charge while plugged into a USB port.

I would love to firewire PocketPCs. Firewire provides lots of juice and would have no trouble charging/synching/and operating. Plus the added bonus of Super Fast Synchronization AND mobile device interconnection via Firewire*.

Boxster S - please update us when you get your device. I'm all over this.

Will

*USB currently has no device peer-to-peer, USB on the Go is coming as part of the USB2.0 spec but no devices are ready yet.)

Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual
Default Belkin's Car Plug and Charge and Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T Smith
I would definitely steer folks towards the Belkin Charge & Sync Cable. It comes with a 12V DC power adapter. Basically it's a cig lighter to USB power plug.

I'm sure that other vendors Charge & Sync cable would work with this plug. However, I haven't been able to find a 12V to USB power adapter anywhere else.

When your mobile, the fewer cables the better. This power plug will allow users to ditch (or not buy at all) a 12V Car to power plug (for your particular device).

The next generation car power systems should be coming out soon. As I recall the new systems will work on 45V and have a modular power plug as opposed to a cig lighter. Those wanting to light cigarettes must purchase an adapter :-)

Off topic. I've noticed that RadioShack is offering some universal modular power adapters for mobile devices. Basically you purchase an adapter for AC or 12V-DC plus attachment(s) for your particular device.

I love clever stuff. Just remember that the Jornada 56x series does cannot charge AND operate from the 100mA supplied by USB. You would have to turn off the device to charge while plugged into a USB port.

I would love to firewire PocketPCs. Firewire provides lots of juice and would have no trouble charging/synching/and operating. Plus the added bonus of Super Fast Synchronization AND mobile device interconnection via Firewire*.

Boxster S - please update us when you get your device. I'm all over this.

Will

*USB currently has no device peer-to-peer, USB on the Go is coming as part of the USB2.0 spec but no devices are ready yet.)
I hear ya man I was getting ready to purchase this one from DreamPages until I saw that it didn't come with an Auto charger adapter.

I'm not gonna pay an extra $3 for it when I can get the Belkin one for $19.99 w/the auto adapter and cheaper shipping. I'm patient enough to wait for the better/cheaper deal. And Belkin has a lifetime warranty as well

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...ies%2FPower%2F

Old 02-18-2002, 10:22 PM
peterawest
Intellectual

Since Buy.com already sells the iPAQ USB Sync Charger from BELKIN, I decided to check if they have the new one for the Jornada listed yet. They don't, but since they sell the Jornda, I'd be surprised if they won't offer the cable once it's available.

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...=10312985&loc=

You might want to check there for updates, since their prices for Belkin products are pretty good.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default The force shall provide ... ( A third party adapter )

No sooner than I posted my ignorance regarding a third party 12V Cig to USB power adapter. The universe provided.

Dale has posted the following at PocketPC Passion.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum...&threadid=8781

Still $10 for the extra adapter. I'll wait for the Belkin.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:13 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual
Default The force shall provide ... ( A third party adapter )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T Smith
No sooner than I posted my ignorance regarding a third party 12V Cig to USB power adapter. The universe provided.

Dale has posted the following at PocketPC Passion.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum...&threadid=8781

Still $10 for the extra adapter. I'll wait for the Belkin.
I'd definitely excuse your "ignorance." :lol:

$22.95 + $9.95 > $19.95 :P