Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-13-2002, 12:43 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Was the Pocket PC 2002 upgrade worth it?

Speaking strictly of software (new hardware aside) was the Pocket PC 2002 OS update worth it for you? I've seen a surprising amount of people saying they'd like to go back to the previous version with their iPAQ. Are you one of those people? Post your reasons and cast your vote!

Old 02-13-2002, 12:53 AM
monkeyboy1010
Neophyte
Default I went back

I upgraded and then I went back, the lack of a good alarm was the deciding factor. I work in a sound studio and the alarm will generally punch through anything...so I don't miss meetings.

mb1010

Old 02-13-2002, 01:15 AM
Robert Levy
Philosopher
Default Poll options

Umm... you forgot to add an option for "No" in this poll

Old 02-13-2002, 01:17 AM
James
Intellectual

I'm using it despite the flaws - mainly because I gave my 3650 to my brother-in-law, and have a 3870 now. The things I hate seem to balance with the things I don't so far.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Poll options

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc
Umm... you forgot to add an option for "No" in this poll
DAMN! I had one...

Old 02-13-2002, 01:42 AM
kevin
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to kevin

After months of false promises last year, Compaq finally delivered this much-awaited UpGrade to its Australian customers.
In many ways, the effort required to get the UpGrade actually increased the expectation of its usefullness.
However, despite the promise of a "small footprint", I have lost valuable RAM and have had to make some tough decisions about which Applications would be installed now that space on my iPaq was now limited.
Efficient use of resources through 2002's "clever" solution for the absence of "Close Application" functionality, has not been delivered. Despite there being a number of "Running Programs" that I no longer require, the system does not manage resources well. Rather than handing me the required resources for an new task, the system simply returns a "Insufficient Resources" message.
2002 might be prettier but this wasn't what I was prepared to pay for.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:29 AM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

the upgrade is nice.... but not worth really calling it an upgrade. It took important functionality away from what PPC 2000 already had and what it added was little else that could of realistcly of been added by third party software to PPC 200.

PPC2002 should of been called a PLUS version, much like they had for the desktop OSes.

I consider this as another poor attempt by MS to not really give the market what they wanted.

Old 02-13-2002, 03:38 AM
tonymus
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to tonymus
Default PPC 2002 not ready for release

The biggest problem with it is the popping sounds that both my upgraded iPaq, and my wife's Jornada 567 made. The iPaq was especially noisy when the speaker was supposed to be silent. The only way to fix this on the iPaq was to download a patch off of the developers site.

Is it so hard to make a PDA that is quiet when you turn the sound off?

Old 02-13-2002, 03:51 AM
James
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan2
PPC2002 should of been called a PLUS version, much like they had for the desktop OSes.
It always amazes me that the PLUS versions either end up being some combination of
  • things no one would have bought if they'd really thought about it, but it's got PLUS! on it, so it must be better
    things that should have been included in the original product to start with
    things that make you think about those infomericials "But wait! There's more!"

Old 02-13-2002, 03:52 AM
jweitzman
Pupil
Default Sync problems

The main reason I upgraded was to get subfolder in the Inbox, but since the upgrade I've had terrible synch problems. Seemingly at random, ActiveSynch tries to synch thousands of e-mail messages. Very strange.

Between that and the lack of a real wireless push e-mail solution (a la Blackberry or i705) I'm seriously considering a switch.

JW