Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default ActiveSync really got me today

Sometimes the quirky design inherent to ActiveSync really gets to me. Case in point: a few days ago I did the HP Jornada EUU1 & firmware updates. I reinstalled everything on the Jornada, but somehow my clock wasn't in sync with my desktop PC - it was an hour out. I couldn't figure out why until I checked the clock settings - it was set on the Redmond time zone, -1 hours behind my local time. Evidently I forgot to change the time zone when doing the device walk through after the hard reset. This resulted in me arriving an hour early for an appointment - so much for the PIM function!

What I don't understand is why ActiveSync can't take a Pocket PC that's been freshly reset and push down partnership information. Time zone, device name, the last backup, etc. I've named my Pocket PC "LittleShogun", so when I do a hard reset I need to first rename the Pocket PC from the control panel applet, move the synced files out of the sync folder, delete the partnership from the desktop, sync the Pocket PC, create a new partnership, and move the files back over. From what I've been told, you can drop a Palm in the cradle, tell it what profile to use, and BAM, you're done.

There are certainly some lessons that Microsoft can learn from Palm, and this is one of them - ActiveSync is too inflexible, unstable, and difficult to use. Or is it just me?

Old 02-07-2002, 08:35 AM
spinsane
Neophyte

Making a backup of my Pocket PC is a difficult process. I like to change the colors (registry settings) and rearrange and delete shortcuts in the start-menu as well as folders I see no use for.

After a hard-reset, and restoring a backup -- everthing is back. None of my changes was saved in the backup. That's frustrating.

Old 02-07-2002, 09:09 AM
dma1965
Thinker
Default Palm wins this round.

Yup ! Palm definitely has ActiveSync by the short and hairies here! You can take a totally wiped out Palm and drop it in the cradle and with one push of a button you have an EXACT replica of the way it was at last sync, within about 10 minutes, and no user intervention needed at all! When it works, it does so very well. Palm definitely wins in the braindead simple category. It is definitely nearly idiot proof! But would I go back to it ? NEVER!!!

Old 02-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Well, I have never been able to restore from a backup when I need to, ie. when my iPAQ has been hard reset (like battery going flat). I don't see much (some maybe) point in backing up if it's not going to work in the worst case scenario.
The post-hard-reset walk is very annoying, I would be totally stoked if my PPC would be restored by just dropping it in the cradle! That would totally rock!

Daniel

Old 02-07-2002, 11:51 AM
James
Intellectual

ActiveSync just plain sucks. Fortunately, it's nowhere near enough to make me hate my iPaq. Between the 2 computer limit (I have at least 4 that I need to keep sync'd), general inflexibility, significant pains in getting network sync to work, and the even more painful BlueTooth sync - they've got their work cut out for 'em...and I know I'm just scratching the surface :cry:

Old 02-07-2002, 03:21 PM
ChrisW
Ponderer
Default I agree

I just got a Jornada 567, coming over from a Palm. There are a number of things to get used to in the PocketPC world, and it seems like ActiveSync is one of the biggest.

I have no idea how to backup and restore my system; I'd love to find a FAQ posted about it somewhere :wink:. All the stuff in the first message about "deleting partnerships" went right over my head.

Another deficiency is that the conduits (or whatever they're called in PocketPC) are missing one option. IIRC, it doesn't give an option of "handheld always wins conflicts".

Old 02-07-2002, 03:25 PM
ceramic_vase
Neophyte
Default is this a surprise? i mean, is it really?

has microsoft ever gotten anything right?

as it stands now, i can't sync my ppc with my upgraded winxp install. how sad is that?

we all know that microsoft is the king of crashes, bugs, and insecurity. of course this would carry over into activesync. in the words of our insightful youth, like, duh!

and i'm not just using this opportunity to bash microsoft. there's plenty of those floating around. i'm just stating a fact, one that i'm reminded of every day when i try to sync with xp.

Old 02-07-2002, 04:37 PM
ukexpat
Neophyte
Default Seconded

I'll second these emotions -- A/S works OK most of the time but when you need to do something out of the ordinary, forget it. As for backing up, I never use the a/s routine. I used the HP backup app and backup to a spare CF card. Works like a charm.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:18 PM
mhowie
Ponderer

Ditto ukexpat's comments. A/S is too slow (actually, quite a joke in the speed department) for backups. The HP Backup app is quick and painless and the only addition I would make to his thoughts is a quick "drag and drop" from the CF card to the hard drive provides a duplicate copy in case something happens to the CF card.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Kemas
Ponderer
Default biggest Active Sync Problem

It isn't very USB friendly and MS has admitted as much to me as has Compaq. It also greatly preferes to be the only item on the USB port; when there is more than one item it doesn't sync all too well.

I have had many computers over the past year, testing and what not, and it acts differently every time. For instance, right now on my notebook and desktop (both HP) the syncing requires me to boot down Active synce, unplug the USB cable and restart active sync. Then it will sync, usually.

They obviously see your Pocket PC has being a more independant device than one that requires a PC connection. Again, MS seems to think that all the world has high speed access and wireless access already and we are 5 to 10 years away from that beautiful dream.

Kemas