Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HD-DVD May Be Dropped by Toshiba

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...7d0bfb0c25aa58d

"The format war has turned into a format death watch. Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources say, after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May. Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," she said. But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players." Immediately after the Warner announcement, the HD DVD North American Promotional Group canceled its Consumer Electronics Show presentation. The following week, data collected by the NPD Group revealed Blu-ray took in 93% of all hardware sales for that week."

So this is what all those Betamax owners felt like in the '80s. I've never backed an unsuccessful technology format before, so it's a strange feeling knowing that HD-DVD is all but dead. It was the superior format in almost every way, but just like the VHS vs. Beta battles of yore, it didn't have the marketing muscle or industry support to win out in the end. Oh well. I only bought six or so HD-DVDs, so it's not like my investment was huge - and as long as my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive keeps working, I have a place to play them. I imagine by 2009 we'll see dual-format HD players around $150 or so, so there's a path for those of use with HD-DVD content. In the meantime, if you have an Xbox 360, it's tough to beat the price of $119 for the HD-DVD drive with six free movies total - hell, you won't find many HD-DVD discs for $19 USD each, but that's what it works out to, and you get a free player to boot.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I imagine by 2009 we'll see dual-format HD players around $150 or so, so there's a path for those of use with HD-DVD content.
Why do you think we would see anything supporting HD-DVD? Just curious, since, if it's dead, it's dead, right?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Well... a good thing that I waited until war is over.

About those videotapes: we had the choice out of three, Betamax, VHS and Video 2000. Chances of picking the wrong one were pretty high in those days. Happily, at that time I couldn't afford a videorecorder.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Jeff_R
Ponderer

And with the Wal-Mart announcement, that is the final nail in the coffin, and it's an enormous one. First and foremost, I feel sorry for the HD-DVD purchasers. On the Blu camp, there was irritation at seeing announced titles yanked away from us (Transformers, anyone?), but that sort of thing pales in comparison to having a dead-end library, and I know there are probably some people out there staring at hundreds of HD-DVDs on their shelf with a thousand yard stare.

However, I'm definitely not surprised. I personally chose Blu-ray when choices were to be made, based simply on studio support, and at the end of the day, that's what I think was the deciding factor. For example, in any home video battle, Disney is a big gorilla when it's time to pick sides, and I just couldn't see HD-DVD coming out ahead, based on which studios were siding where. Personally, I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that HD-DVD was superior in nearly every way, but even if that were true, it still wouldn't have mattered if the studios didn't back it, and the right ones didn't, which is why the numbers were so lopsided once Blu-ray hit the market.

Hopefully, the lesson learned by the industry (and I'm speaking as a working member of that industry) will be that consumers don't like format wars, rather than a look at Blu-ray and Betamax with the thought "Hey, may as well roll the dice... Sony batted .500!"

Can you imagine the hassles when VOD starts to become a significant market and all you need to have your own "standard" is do a codec which may not work on your competitor's box? Ugh...

Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
jeffd
Philosopher

why do you say superior in every way? Blueray easily atleast had the disc space thing nailed down. ^^

IMO either format gets what they deserve. If HDDVD started out at $119 a drive, i'm sure it would be number one now. Both are sides are greedy, and so I won't have an HD disc player until final fantasy 13 comes out and I'm forced to buy one. ^^

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

On the bright side, I'll probably be able to pick up some HD movies dirt cheap in the near future. The ST-TOS ones are dual disk, so I can probably get those cheap and then sell my other set.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
why do you say superior in every way? Blueray easily atleast had the disc space thing nailed down. ^^
Blu-ray had more space, yes. HD-DVD had the better name/brand, cheaper disc manufacturing, better technology for interactive features (it was quick and easy to program for, unlike Blu-ray which required Java programming), the players didn't seem to have the firmware/compatibility problems that Blu-ray had, less expensive players (less complicated to make), the quality was better on first generation discs...take your pick.

Blu-ray had better studio support - that's really the main advantage it had, but in the end, that's the advantage that mattered the most...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje View Post
...and Video 2000.
Wow. I've never even heard of that one!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
Why do you think we would see anything supporting HD-DVD? Just curious, since, if it's dead, it's dead, right?
Hundreds of thousands of HD-DVD discs have been sold, and it will be a competitive advantage for any Blu-ray player to be able to player HD-DVD discs. Unlike Betamax and VHS, there's no technical reason why the players can't read both.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 AM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Hundreds of thousands of HD-DVD discs have been sold, and it will be a competitive advantage for any Blu-ray player to be able to player HD-DVD discs. Unlike Betamax and VHS, there's no technical reason why the players can't read both.
I wouldn't count on that. Over 1 BILLION DVDs are sold every year. 500,000 HD-DVDs is statistically insignificant, especially when you are the only game in town.