<em>“In November of 2006, I received an electric shock through the earbuds of my Microsoft Zune. Simultaneously, the Zune emitted a very loud noise through the earbuds and the device began to reset. Since the incident, I've suffered blood and fluid leakage from my ear canal, a temporary threshold shift, and incessant ringing and discomfort. In October of 2007, after eleven months of medical treatment with limited results, I filed a personal injury lawsuit against Microsoft."</em><br /><br />If this is true this is very disconcerting to say the least! <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/02/zune-user-files-suit-against-microsoft-over-alleged-ear-damage/">Engadget also recently</a> reported a similar incident but I suspect it is the same one. The Zune is simply an electronic device and I will not write off this as very possibly having occurred exactly as the plantiff wrote on his <a href="http://www.microsoftzuneinjuries.com/home">Microsoft Zune Injuries</a> site. However, I have some questions nagging me about the statements in this claim. <br /><ol> <li>What sort of electrical shock are we talking here? The Zune battery isn’t likely very capable of producing more than a very mild shock. <br /> </li> <li>How loud was this noise? I’ve been to some pretty loud rock concerts that have left my ears ringing for several days following the concert. I didn’t suffer permanent damage like this. I’d be curious to know what sort of decibel level would be required to cause the damage described and if the Zune is capable of reaching that level. </li></ol>This isn’t something to be taken lightly so I don’t want to dismiss a claim like this out of hand. However, I like to have more information about things like this before trying to come to a conclusion. I’ll see if I can find anything more.