Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default I Changed My Mind

One of the new features we got in the second go-around of the Zune was the ability to wirelessly sync your library with your Zune. I really like the addition of this feature even if its not something that I use much. Not at the moment at any rate. I really wouldn't mind setting up stereo dock elsewhere in my house and since I have several floors to my house it would be a pain to have to go get my Zune just to put new music on it. So I appreciate the utility of this feature. <br /><br />The wireless sync, however, wasn't what some people wanted. No, some people wanted a wireless store. Now, at the time of release I was ok with not having it available. I didn't think WiFi networks were pervasive enough to make it really worth it. I still don't think they really are and I think the Zune team was smart to focus on more usable features for the moment. So why do I bring this up then? Here's a conversation I had at work last week: <br /><br />Co-Worker: &quot;So can you download music on it?&quot; <br /><br />Me: &quot;Well, no, but I can wirelessly sync it down from my computer.&quot; <br /><br />Co-Worker: &quot;Ah, that's cool. Too bad you can't buy music on it.&quot; <br /><br />Me: &quot;Yeah...&quot; <br /><br />I honestly felt a bit stupid since when you say it out loud you realize how much better being able to actually buy music right there would be. I really hope that this is a feature the Zune team can work into Zune firmware 3.0.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Indeed, it's definitely a "missing piece" they need to add...though until more of their catalog is MP3, I can't see myself using it much.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Wireless store + subscription service would be a killer feature. You could ditch your PC completely!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 PM
eufreka
Pupil
Default Who buys?!?!?!

Well, given that the zune is a *subscription* device, I don't agree at all.

The realities of "collection management" suggests that it will be sometime until they tie together the three-way communiation to link up online store/wifi_device/collection_pc in a manageable way.

Eventually, it might make sense to allow device-based browsing the store, flagging tracks to download to the collection_pc for subsequent wifi syncing to the device, but that's sounds pretty "down the road."

Of course, the better answer is a question: "Why buy 15 tracks a month when for the same money I can rent millions?" Heck, the price differential between an iTouch and a comparable zune is enough to pay for a year or two of ALL your RENTAL...

So for me, I would rather download a whole album from home for "free" than buy a track wirelessly.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufreka View Post
Well, given that the zune is a *subscription* device, I don't agree at all.
No, the Zune is a subscription *capable* device. I, and many other Zune users, do not have a Zune Pass. I have no statistics on this, but I'd be surprised if even 25% of all Zune owners use the Zune Pass option. The reality is that while some people love the Zune Pass, many others are uncomfortable with the idea of never owning their music.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
No, the Zune is a subscription *capable* device. I, and many other Zune users, do not have a Zune Pass. I have no statistics on this, but I'd be surprised if even 25% of all Zune owners use the Zune Pass option. The reality is that while some people love the Zune Pass, many others are uncomfortable with the idea of never owning their music.
Ditto. All of the stuff I purchase from Zune Marketplace, I am fortunate enough to purchase in straight MP3-non-DRM'd form. No "renting" required

Also, I would love to buy music form my Zune but before I would even consider doing so, they would have to create a Zune based interface that didn't require any humbug typing at all. I don't think I could stomach purchasing music by using a virtual keyboard and scrolling with the d-pad... it was annoying enough entering in my name in all those old video games I played on my old console systems

Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
andreD
Neophyte

Excuse me for asking this but i am not very savvy when it comes to electronics, my one and only mp3 player does not even have a gig of memory, can they create an upgrade in the future which would enable the Zune to connect via WiFi to the internet?
That is something i would love to see, If the Ipod Touch had more memory or were cheaper i would buy it but the cost and small memory keep me from doing it. Although with my miniscule library of old radio shows i'm sure it would be a long while before i ran out of space.
Andre

Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
The reality is that while some people love the Zune Pass, many others are uncomfortable with the idea of never owning their music.
I will never understand this line of thought but as long as I have subscription available I will be able to happily know that over the course of my life I'll have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars less than anyone who buys an equivalent amount of music.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I will never understand this line of thought but as long as I have subscription available I will be able to happily know that over the course of my life I'll have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars less than anyone who buys an equivalent amount of music.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from - the problem for me is that if I were ever to stop paying that fee, all the music I had would stop working...and having to re-download all that music again, and likely correct the meta-data to my liking (with genres and such) would be a HUGE pain. When I did have a Napster account, I kept all the Napster music in a separate music folder because I didn't consider it "really mine" and didn't want it to pollute my collection. But I'm also the guy with over 800 CDs and over 17,000 songs, so I know I'm not average.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufreka View Post
Well, given that the zune is a *subscription* device, I don't agree at all. The realities of "collection management" suggests that it will be sometime until they tie together the three-way communiation to link up online store/wifi_device/collection_pc in a manageable way.
Because in reality you won't "rent" even a small percentage of that amount. What happens to the music you do "rent" if you were stop paying the subscription fee? Subscription model works for some but not for others. I haven't seen the numbers for last quarter but the public in general don't seem interested in renting the music they listen to outside of their automobile.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***