Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft and Dell Team Up With PRODUCT (RED) Hardware & Software

Microsoft and Dell have teamed up with the (RED) team to raise money to fight AIDS in Africa, which continues to be a horrible epidemic  - in some African countries AIDS is found in over 35% of the population. Dell is selling special versions of their XPS ONE, XPS M1330 laptop, XPS M1530 laptop, and the 948 All in One printer. I have the XPS M1330 myself, and it's an amazing notebook - very powerful yet still reasonably small. If you purchase a PRODUCT (RED) XPS M1330, $50 of your purchase will be donated to fight AIDS in Africa. How far will that go? How about 416 single-dose treatments to help prevent the transmission of an AIDS-infected mother to her unborn child? Or it would cover a year of hot meals and school materials to a child orphaned by AIDS. The best part is that this $50 comes out of Dell's profits - these products are no more expensive than the non PRODUCT (RED) versions.

Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED (Microsoft's contribution) includes special wallpapers (six of them), Windows Sidebar gadgets (two of them), one screensaver, and one Windows DreamScene. Here's a sample of one of the desktop wallpapers. I love the design of it, though it would have been nice if the Dell and Windows logo were transparent (maybe there's an alternate version of the wallpaper without the logos).

Here's a shot of what the PRODUCT (RED) version of Dell's XPS One looks like. The back looks amazing, though I wish they could have carried the red theme into the front as well.

Here's what the front looks like:

A great cause worth supporting, so if you need (or want) a new computer, definitely keep Dell's PRODUCT (RED) products at the top of your list.