Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Events

Old 11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Win a Copy of Windows Home Server

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

When I came back from the Windows Consumer Experience Event in New York last month, I had a copy of Windows Home Server in my hands. The thing is, I was already given a copy via the MVP program - so guess what that means? Giveaway! If you want a win a copy of this software, you should know what you'll need: a dedicated computer, I'd say at minimum something in the 1 Ghz CPU realm, at least 512 MB of RAM, and at least a 100 GB hard drive (more storage is better of course). One of the great features of Windows Home Server is how you can plug in a USB hard drive and it's added to the overall storage pool. I have six USB hard drives connected to it, with 2 TB of overall storage. It's a beautiful thing.

To win a copy of this software (retail $179 USD), here's all you have to do: tell me how you'd use it. To back up your photos? To stream music to your Xbox? To access your computers remotely? Post a message in this discussion thread telling me how you'd use Windows Home Server to make your digital life more secure, more fun, or easier. One week from today, on the 21st at 12 noon GMT -7, I'll do a random drawing of all the entries. I look forward to reading them all!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Kevin Jackson
Contributing Editor

I would love to set up a home file server/media server/remote access server for all the computers I have (6 at last count -- I work out of my home). It would make my life much easier if I had easy access to commonly used files, music and photos.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Shagin099
Pupil

Well, I already have a file server so I would use it mainly for its automatic backup stuff. I have 4 PCs right now (2 laptops, a desktop, and a server, and I'm getting a new core 2 quad system soon) and its really hard to keep them all backed up. Although streaming music to my 360 sounds like a great idea too....

-Dan

Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Outlaw94
Ponderer

I would definitively like to have a the ability to stream music to my Xbox and have a file server set up. I have the needed parts laying around to build one today (minus the software). I keep everything on data DVDs in sleeves in boxes but it would be nice to have all my music and photos (all currently sitting on a USB drive) backed up and secure from loss and have the the ability to keep my videos in an easily accessible place to stream to my multiple computer household.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM
hoby
Neophyte

I would use it to back up the multiple laptops and systems in my home as well as stream to my Xbox 360 and Tivo Series 3 via the Tivo Publisher for WHS!

I was in on the beta, but they didn't hook us up with copies at the end, and I haven't had the cash to go purchase WHS yet, but I can tell you it is quite awesome, and with all the plugins that are out and coming, you will not be disappointed!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
gstenger
Pupil

This would be great so that I could have a central place for all of our music, photos, and file backups. The ability to access my home computer from anywhere would be great as well.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

I first heard about Home Server while I was at the 2007 CES, and personally, I thought it was the best product there (and I've been lusting after it ever since

I would use it for remote access, backup of four home computers, and to share media off of across the home network....pretty much everything it is designed to do!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
hawkeye
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to hawkeye
Default Thanks DMT!!!

I would use WHS to backup my desktop and laptop computers. As well as backup/stream digital photos, music, and home videos around the house and to my Windows Mobile.

I hope someday to be able to also stream to my Series 2 DirecTivo or maybe to my Wii......that's probably just wishful thinking

Old 11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

love to setup a home network and manage that remotely - be able to address issues with kids' desktops remotely - be able to accesss certain files when I am away from work.

Share pictures with others
Centeral storage for all media
Backups of desktops
Management of kid's accounts centrally instead of setting up parental controls on their individual desktops
manage connectivity to the internet from a central box from where ever I am...

I'm drooling aboutr this - Pick Me! Pick Me!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
dblml320
Pupil
Default How I Would Use WHS ....

I run a central media repository in my house. CD's that come into the house get ripped to the repository and put away for safe keeping. I would use WHS to give my son at college access to the media repository.