¹ Second Generation Shrinkage: The 2G iPod Shuffle Reviewed - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari
Default Second Generation Shrinkage: The 2G iPod Shuffle Reviewed

Product Category: Portable Audio Player
Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.
Where to Buy: Amazon.com Affiliate Store
Price: $78.00 USD
System Requirements: PC: iTunes 7.0.2 or later, Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2k SP4, USB Port; Mac: OSX 10.3.9 or later, USB Port, iTunes 7.0.2
Specifications: 1 Gigabyte capacity; Height: 1.07 inches; Width: 1.62 inches; Depth: 0.41 inch (including clip); Weight: 0.55 ounce;

Pros
  • Ultra-small size;
  • Excellent sound quality;
  • Long battery life (12 hours rated; probably better in the real world);
  • Built in Clip;
  • Dock included.
Cons
  • No Screen;
  • Requires specialized dock (included) for charging and syncing;
  • iTunes must be downloaded since there is no CD in the box!
  • Includes the old-style Apple earbuds (see update at the bottom of the article)
Summary
Apple's first-generation Shuffle proved to be an enormous success. Following on its heels is the even smaller and much cooler second generation model. Does the new kid on the block hold up compared to the model before it?

Read on for the full review!

What's In The Box?
Apple has matched the diminutive shuffle with equally diminutive packaging...

Includes:
  • Brochure-style manual;
  • Dock with USB connector;
  • Quick reference card;
  • An Apple logo sticker (like all other Apple products);
  • Earbud headphones
First Impressions:
Once you get over the obvious shock of the size, your mind starts bending over how you're going to keep the Shuffle from disappearing. It really is that small. In fact, instead of telling you how small it is, let me show you:

Figure 1: The iPod Shuffle next to a US quarter.

What's most interesting is that Apple has chosen to integrate the clip into the device itself, meaning you won't have to worry about losing some belt clip or of buying some cheaply made import product that will invariably end up breaking off.

The case is a brushed anodized aluminum meaning you won't have the notorious iPod scratching issue with this baby unless you grind it along on the sidewalk. The control buttons on the front are large enough that even people with big paws can work the controls, and the switches on the edges give a nice tactile feel. The Shuffle comes with a grand total of 1 (yes, that's right, one) indicator light, which serves multiple purposes. It indicates battery charge and activity (playing / charging / syncing) and is bright and easy to see.

If you're like most geeks, though, the second you pick up a device, you look around for the connector. What you'll see on the Shuffle, however, is that there isn't an obvious data port anywhere on it. This is because Apple has taken the design a step further, eliminated an extra connector, and made everything work through the headphone jack.

Figure 2: Charging is done through the headphone jack, saving space on the device.

Overall, the device is designed every bit as well as you would expect an Apple product to be designed.

You Take The Good...
In the real world, the Shuffle is great for running, jogging, cycling, or whatever other activities would benefit from carrying a smaller and lighter device. If it wasn't a music player stuck in your ears, you'd never know it was still clipped on. The volume level is more than adequate for out-and-about usage, and even in busy and somewhat noisy environments, there's enough juice to keep your music from being drowned out by the noise around you.

Also, unlike its bigger brother, the iPod, the Shuffle has actual buttons on it. You can reach down, without seeing it, and know what you're doing. It's a huge plus when you have it clipped to your pocket, belt, or sleeve.

Figure 3: Real buttons make navigating, even with the device out of sight, relatively painless.

Figure 4: To keep the smooth contours on the face of the Shuffle, Apple moved the Shuffle and Power switches to the edge of the device.

The battery life is excellent, as it was with previous Shuffles. Apple rates its play time as 12 hours. While I can't say I've listened to music continuously at any point for that long, I can say that I've listened, left it, listen, left it, and have done this over and over for a week or two and so far haven't gotten the blinking orange light that says it's time to charge. In other words, in most common uses, I'd say the battery life will range from sufficient to excellent.

You Take The Bad...
All is not roses in Cupertino, however. The Shuffle is not without its drawbacks. Even though they're relatively obvious, they are worth pointing out.

The first, and most obvious drawback is that the Shuffle doesn't have a screen. I certainly understand that no one purchasing a Shuffle is destined to be surprised by that fact, but that being said, even some sort of single-line display would be nice. Often things will play in a strange order or you'll want to hear a specific song and you have to click through every song while looking for the one you want to hear. While the Shuffle only holds approximately 250 songs, that still can take some time.

Another annoyance is the dock. I think it's very cool that Apple managed to dump the USB connector to save room on the actual device. I also think it's pretty cool that everything works through the headphone jack. The problem with that, however, is that it all but eliminates the practical use of the Shuffle as a data device. The nice feature of previous Shuffles was that you could uncap the end, stick it in a USB port, and use it as a thumbdrive in a pinch. To have similar functionality on the new Shuffle, one would have to carry around the cable with the dock also which is not exactly an optimal situation.

Figure 5: Why, Apple? Why? Why have you foresaken us with older earbuds? New 'buds on the left, Shuffle 'buds on the right.

Finally, the Shuffle includes Apple's older headphones. Last year, with the release of the second revision of the iPod with Video, Apple upgraded the headphones. The odd part of the Shuffle not having the newer headphones is that they were announced at the same time! Frankly, the newer ones are much more comfortable, and I'm a bit disappointed in Apple, although I think they're probably doing it to move out tons of the older-style headphones. Either way, it was a bit of a downer.

Filling Your Shuffle...
So once you've gotten over the hardware, how does the software work? Well, it's iTunes. You either love it or you hate it, and there's really nothing in between. Some of us like the way it manages everything and keeps you from having to dig around in Finder / Explorer. Some of us (cough, Jason, cough) aren't a big fan of not being able to have iTunes sync what appears in folders. However you feel about it, iTunes does have some neat features when it comes to handling Shuffles.

My gripe is that Apple chose not to enclose a CD with iTunes on it, but they didn't do that with the prior Shuffle either. The logic of putting a CD that's ten times the size of the product inside a box that's nothing but wasteful probably didn't appeal to the folks in Cupertino.

Generally, unless your music collection is very small, you won't be able to fit all of it in the 250 songs you can fit on the Shuffle. Instead, you can randomize what ends up there by autofilling the Shuffle from your collection (or from specific playlists). iTunes will then fill your Shuffle to the max with as much music as it can cram in. The fun part of this is that you'll end up hearing music you probably haven't heard in awhile. Truth be told, most of us tend to carry around a lot more music than we listen to, so this is a great way to hear those artists you haven't been listening to.

Figure 6: iTunes has some pretty intuitive ways for you to get those songs and podcasts onto your Shuffle.

Syncing with iTunes is very fast due to the USB 2.0 connection. iTunes also allows you to manually add songs to your Shuffle so if you're not interested in the randomness, you can have better control over what exactly is loaded into the limited space available. iTunes also includes an option to automatically shrink higher bitrate songs down to 128kbps AAC. AAC generally offers better compression than MP3 even at the same bitrate, so this is a nice plus.

The Wrap
Overall, the iPod Shuffle fills a need...

1. It's a great budget-class MP3 player.
2. It's the cheapest way to carry your purchased iTunes Store content with you.
3. It's ideal for people who don't want to carry around a regular sized iPod or Nano.

I think the Shuffle is great. I use it mainly for listening to podcasts as I do housework. Occasionally, I'll dump one of my favorite playlists on and listen to music also. My collection of music fits on half of a 30 Gig iPod, and if I had to, I'm sure I could live with 250 songs on a Shuffle. Of the thousands of songs I have on my iPod, I'd say I realistically only listen to about 50-60 of them.

If you can get over its limitations, the Shuffle is a great device that's well-designed, easy to use, and pretty durable. As Chris Breen said after its announcement, you may want to buy two of them just so that when (not if) you lose it, you'll have a backup. So far I haven't lost mine.

Then again, I've only had it for a few weeks! :-)

UPDATE: Dyvim correctly noted that since this article was written, Apple has introduced an updated line of Shuffles with colored cases that does include the new improved earbuds instead of the older ones. Thanks for the heads up!

Vincent M. Ferrari is a blogger, photographer wannabe, digital media junkie, and Apple fanboy from the Bronx, New York. His most famous accomplishment is canceling his AOL account which got him an inordinate amount of fame, something he still brags about to all his friends. When he's not taking down multi-billion dollar corporations, he's writing on his own blog, taking photos, and working on the show notes for the Twit.tv Network's iLifeZone podcast.