Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Brendan Goetz
Ponderer
Default C|NET: Why My Cable DVR Stinks

http://news.com.com/Why+my+cable+DVR+stinks/2100-1033_3-6100047.html?tag=nefd.lede

�While I love how the DVR changed my life--letting me watch my favorite shows whenever I want and fast-forward through commercials--I was in love with it only when it worked. Because when it didn't work, I wanted to throw the whole thing out my window. In a rush to give consumers more features, cable operators, satellite providers and phone companies are asking device makers to pack more complex capabilities into each box. Today, set-top boxes resemble a home PC more than they do a simple channel-changing cable box designed to do only three things: turn on, turn off, tune channels. Inevitably, these increasingly complicated devices are less reliable and harder to use than their predecessors.�

I have the HD version of the box described in this article, and I have been mostly happy with it. A few times it has failed to record shows for me, for what appears to be no clear reason other than spite. I also have a media PC that I use fro watching DVDs and downloaded content. I appreciate the ease of use of my Time Warner box, but I prefer the freedom to manipulate the content with my media PC. I would love to take shows I�ve recorded and transfer them to my PSP and watch them on the subway. Does anyone know of an HDTV solution for recording shows on a PC off of cable or satellite? I�m about ready to ditch Time Warner for Dish anyway, because my cable reception is awful and they don�t seem to care.