¹ Microsoft Close to URGE Deal in Europe - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Close to URGE Deal in Europe

http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/06/27/microsoft-close-to-urge-deal-in-europe/

"In May Microsoft launches its belated entry into the world of digital music sales in the US by teaming up with MTV to launch URGE - a service that integrates digital music sales directly into Windows Media Player 11. URGE partners Microsoft's technology with MTV's brand profile in the music industry in order to present a challenge to the dominance of iTunes in the digital music download market. Now, according to industry sources, Microsoft is closing in on a partnership that will see the launch of a digital music download service in the UK - but with a difference. I have been informed that Microsoft is in final discussions not only with content providers such MTV but also with a number of major British telecommunications companies. Whereas Microsoft's partnership with MTV is mainly designed to deliver brand and marketing value, a partnership with a telco could potentially secure the Microsoft a valuable additional channel of delivery. A partnership with a telecommunications company could present a useful future opportunity for Microsoft, in the UK music downloads to mobile phones are becoming increasingly popular and companies such as Sony Ericsson have made convincing attempts to break into this market with hybrid phone/digital music players."

Well, it's good to hear URGE sprouting in Europe, but I really couldn't care less about delivering content to mobile phones. In my experience, people have music on their phone so they can show it off to coworkers on their lunch break, not so they can actually listen to tunes. And let me tell you how very annoying it is to have someone playing the latest Shakira from their tiny speakerphone. :evil: I say if you want music on your phone, get a smartphone and sync it directly. You'll avoid the premium for the download privelage. And please get headphones.

As far as Canadia is concerned, I guess you'll just have to keep waiting Jason. :P