¹ C|NET Reviews the Nikon D200 - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default C|NET Reviews the Nikon D200

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nikon_D200_with_18mm_to_70mm_zoom_lens/4505-6501_7-31650273.html?subj=fdba&part=rss&tag=MR_Search+Results

"The Nikon D200, a long-awaited successor to the company's D100, offers serious amateur photographers and value-minded professionals a compact, sub-$2,000 digital SLR with many of the specifications, features, and build characteristics of Nikon's high-end pro cameras. Although not quite the junior version of the top-of-the-line D2X that some had hoped for, the D200 offers a significant step up from Nikon's low-end D70s and D50 models, with 10.2-megapixel resolution, a rugged moisture- and dust-sealed magnesium-alloy body, a large viewfinder, a 5fps drive mode, and bountiful fine-tuning and customization options. Accessories including Nikon iTTL external flash units, a Wi-Fi transmitter, a burgeoning line of digital optics, and third-party GPS units give the D200 enough versatility to compete effectively with its pricier midrange competitor, the full-frame Canon EOS 5D."

A solid review of the D200 from C|NET - it's one of the longer reviews I've ever read from them. The review comes out extremely positive for the D200 - in reading it, there were hardly any serious concerns, so the score of 8.3 out of 10 seems a touch low. One of their criticisms, however, is the lack of a TIFF option. Is that really an issue anymore? TIFF was important before RAW was common, and if you have RAW you have a lossless-compressed image, so why would you need TIFF? And their other Con was "JPEG artifacts crimp image quality" - but there's no mention in the article of what they're talking about that I could see. It almost seems like they're looking for things to complain about. Hey C|NET, that's my job! :lol:

I'm telling you, Canon had better coming out with a KILLER upgrade to the 20D soon, or I'm jumping ship to Nikon. The D200 looks like a fantastic camera, and I'm itching to buy one. Must...hold...off.