Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
enjoythemusic
Pupil
Default New Zune Desktop Software FIX

As you may know, MANY PEOPLE are having major problems when they upgrade their Zune desktop software. This includes incorrect album art, free HD space errors, etc.

From another Zune board. This seems to fix virtually ALL problems with album art, HD free space problems, bad listing oif songs, etc.

Close Zune.exe (close the program and make sure, using CTL ATL DEL... three finger MS salute) that it is not running. Other Zuner services can run.

Open (for Vista) C:user{your_username}AppDataLocalMicrosoftZune or the equivelent Documents & Settings location XP

Find the CurrentDatabase_365.wmdb (that is the 1.0 data store) rename it to CurrentDatabase_365Old.wmdb

Find the ZuneStore.sdf (that is the 2.0 data store) rename it to ZuneStoreOld.sdf

Restart Zune.exe, it will find all the media in your monitored folders and add it to your collection based on the metadata in the files.

You should only need to do this once.

What i did was search for the files CurrentDatabase_365.wmdb and ZuneStore.sdf and renamed them as above. Then i launched the Zune software and it re-indexed my songs. Virtually everything fixed.

Well, not EVERYTHING fixed, but the major problems, There are still association problems i have with some songs to their album art, but it is minor compred to the sheer and utter nightmare experienced earlier.

Who tested this buggy software for MS and let it go public? Sorry and all MS, you guys really blew it imo.

On the good side, the new firmware for the 30 is impressive. Hats off to the firmware guys, the software QC guys deserve a cut in pay and would be nice to meet them at CES before Bill's schpiel the day before the show.

--------

Another problem, the new Zune desktop software messes up compilations discs. To fix it is NO fun. Again, from another board...

Man, I just figured it out, but it is a PAIN. You have to select "list" instead of browse on the upper right side of the screen. Then, in the columns, right click and check the album artist box to display that column. now, you have to manually go through and change every track on each CD to the same artist (like Various Artists) in order for it to appear as one album...

So basically find the song and edit the album title to the correct one.

BTW: My brother was a programmer and in QC. One of his babies was Ashton Tate Framework... Guess what, it worked on old slow computers and floppies. No bloatware back then. This was, as i recall, the first program to integrate 'office' programs. Max was a true genius.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 11-14-2007 at 03:08 AM..