¹ Channel 10 Sits Down with Cesar Menendez - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Channel 10 Sits Down with Cesar Menendez

http://www.on10.net/Blogs/laura/zune-2-an-intimate-conversation-with-the-zune-team/

"Blogs are buzzing with the news of the upcoming Zunes we'll soon have our hands on. But some questions still remain and the information just wasn't easily found on any sites. So, Channel 10 decided to head straight to the source. In this clip I have a sit down chat with Cesar Menendez from the Zune team and ask him all those questions that my friends and family wanted answered."

This video came out nearly two weeks ago, but it's a solid overview of the new Zune devices, and has answers to some of the questions we all have. The host let Cesar off the hook a bit too easy in some ways (not providing a clock because they wanted to focus on the music experience? Come on...), but overall it's a good summary of what's new with the upcoming Zunes. The Channel 10 video player is pretty dysfunctional - I couldn't get it to work with Firefox - so downloading the high-resolution WMV file (147 MB) is probably the best way to watch this. There are other format options on the interview page if that file size scares you.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

I really hope the Zune team releases an official statement on the clock issue with something more helpful than "we wanted to focus on the music experience", etc. From what I understand from my limited programming ability, it's really not that easy to "just throw a clock on there", especially when factoring in battery issues (typically, devices have a dedicated battery for clock timing and which usually regulates other things like CMOS settings). There really isn't an easy way to do this without completely draining the battery, unless some really difficult programming was applied.

So until then, I'll happily use my cell phone or the millions of other clock-enabled devices around me in my world.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Adam, the Zune does have a built in clock. Its part of the DRM system...

As for the Zune not having one...I don't care.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Adam, the Zune does have a built in clock. Its part of the DRM system...

As for the Zune not having one...I don't care.
I care, it's annoying. It's just one of those things you would expect to be included. It is like buying a double cheeseburger from McDonalds and then not getting buns and having the person who made it tell you that they were really focusing on making the patty taste great so they didn't have time to give you a bun!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Ricardo Dawkins
Ponderer

Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

I know it's part of the DRM system, but I assume that has more to do with general time (e.g. it's off several minutes or an hour, as it's only used to calculate 3 days) than with more precise functionality that another such device could provide.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly stand up for public flogging, but it would be nice if they gave an official statement that actually said something.