Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Whitepaper Warns of Security and Malware Concerns with Windows Mobile

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4876519484.html

"McAfee's Avert Labs has released a whitepaper discussing ways hackers might attack Windows Mobile-based smartphones. Author Zhu Cheng says there is no significant risk today, "but we're in the early stages of what is likely to become a longstanding trend," attributed partly to Microsoft's release of Windows CE kernel source. Pointing out that carrying a smartphone is basically like having a computer in your pocket, Cheng claims Windows Mobile is vulnerable to attack. "Windows CE's open-source kernel policy allows virus writers to get a deep understanding of the operating system," he writes"

The key thing to remember out of all this is that the paper was done by a Anti-Virus company that has a lot to gain by making you scared about security on your device. The author even recommends anti-virus and anti-malware to help keep you safe. I'm not about to say that Windows Mobile is a vault and nothing will ever get in or out. But to me, this seems like a lot of FUD. To date there has been a lot of attention placed on Symbian and even Apple when it comes to mobile security, or the lack there of. So I find it odd that the author comments about attacks on Windows Mobile becoming a "longstanding trend". I understand the need to forecast, but from 0 attacks thus far to a longstanding trend in the not too distant future? I don't know about that. Anyway, if you fancy a read, you can find the full PDF here.