Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus
Default Capturing Caressability

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/013275.html

"One of the things we've been working on here is how to properly quantify a term we've been using to describe a certain attribute of some devices. We call it "caressability" and it's a term where it's easier to show examples than to explain. For example, iPod Nanos have caressability, Creative Zens don't. RAZR phones have it, LG phones don't. It's not something that's limited to portable electronics either. As was pointed out to me by a friend, Ferrari's have this attribute as well, Oldsmobiles do not. Breitling watches have it, Seiko watches do not. It's an important attribute to understand as it clearly resonates with consumers and can help elevate a product out of ordinary status (even if it only has ordinary features)."

User submitted image

Michael Gartenberg wants to know what gives a product "caressability," we would like to know that too. Why doesn't the 2125 have caressability? Does the Moto Q have caressability? When will Windows Mobile device manufacturers start focusing on this important attribute? We have talked about this topic in the past over here, but back then we didn't know the name for this attribute. ;-)

Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 PM
hotdram
Theorist

From the examples given (Breitling, Ferrari, Nanos et.al versus the competitors) it appears as if there is a direct correlation between cost (or perceived value) and "caressability".

~Rob

Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdram
From the examples given (Breitling, Ferrari, Nanos et.al versus the competitors) it appears as if there is a direct correlation between cost (or perceived value) and "caressability".

~Rob
I don't know about cost. It might have something to do with it, but there is no real price difference between the Nano and the Zen.

I think it's connected more with the style than the price. Caressable things are stuff that are shiny and sleek. They have an uncluttered look to them. I would say the SP5 is more caressable than the SP5m. Why? the SP5m has a cleaner less busy look to it. The phones are the same internally, it's just the body that gives us that feeling.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I had never heard this term until right this moment. I think the idea is right on though. Most people buy things that look good. There are so many RAZRs out there I've stopped noticing them. Imagine them all with WM5 inside?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I think I would like 'charm' better. Not sure I want to carress my phone.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
Not sure I want to carress my phone.
I'm not even gonna go there. :lol:

Old 01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Charm... Interesting. I don't know that a RAZR or a Ferrari gives off charm. Do you have any examples of a product that gives off charm? Besides Lucky Charms. :lol:

Old 01-26-2006, 08:45 PM
mpaquette
Ponderer

I was just thinking about this very thing last night as I was comparing the size of my wife's Razor to my SMT5600. When the Razor is closed it's basically as thick as the 5600. The Razor is wider than the 5600, but it's also shorter. When you look at the 2 devices independently of each other the Razor looks much smaller than the 5600, but side by side they are pretty much the same size. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really don't know what gives a device "caressability."

Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Temporale
Quote:
Charm... Interesting. I don't know that a RAZR or a Ferrari gives off charm. Do you have any examples of a product that gives off charm? Besides Lucky Charms. :lol:
I think charm is the inate quality that makes someone pleasant and desireable to be around. Kind of draws others in, and makes them feel good. If you extend that to objects, I think folks have been charmed by the iPod, Razr, Mazda Miata, things like that. I have problems with carressable. I mean, if the Razr was fuzzy would it then be cuddly?

Old 01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
iPod Nanos, RAZR phones, Ferrari's, Breitling watches
My response? Vaja.