Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Logitech And Skype Team Up On TV Cam

http://gizmodo.com/5931526/this-200...-a-skype-center

"The TV Cam HD is compatible with any HDMI-equipped TV, and can use either Wi-Fi or ethernet to hook up to the internet. The device is pre-loaded with Skype-running on what we're not quite sure-so you can just use it to log in to your existing account and make video calls, or proper phone calls using credit."

If you've ever wanted to use your TV as a Skype-compatible device then this product may interest you. You'll need an HDMI-equipped TV to connect this device to, but as long as you have a Wi-Fi or ethernet  connection to your TV you will be all set. Simply log in to your existing account and make video calls, or proper phone calls using credit. If you get a call while your TV is off it will still ring, alerting you that someone wants to Skype. Some expect that this sort of capability will be built into future TVs, but if you just bought a new one and plan to keep it for years to come, this option may be very attractive.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson

Is the time really right yet for this technology? We're getting closer! Think about Cisco's Telepresence offering that was made available for the home, but at a ridiculous cost per device, and it only worked with other Cisco devices. It also had bandwidth requirements beyond that available to the "average" consumer.

This, on the other hand, is reasonably affordable, can integrate with computers and mobile devices, but still has some bandwidth requirements, although minimal-to-moderate. If I don't have the bandwidth, do I really want to fuzzy, pixelated picture with lousy sound on my 52-inch TV?

I can see my wife's dad getting one of these, at almost 91, he just will not use a computer, although we've set one up with Skype where all he has to do is click. Too much work. If the UI (or rather, operation) is simple enough, this would be great.