Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Visual Radio Coming to a Phone Near You

http://news.com.com/Visual+radio+headed+for+U.S.+cell+phones/2100-1027_3-5673078.html?tag=nefd.top

"'Visual radio' is coming to the United States--and no, that's not just a newfangled name for a TV set. Radio giant Infinity Broadcasting is working with Hewlett-Packard to bring a kind of Net-enabled FM radio to U.S. markets, sending information such as album art, concert dates and buy-this-album buttons alongside broadcasts. The broadcasts will be aimed at a new generation of FM radio-enabled phones, as well as the digital information carried over cellular phone carriers' airwaves, rather than on the one-way FM broadcasts. The companies hope to turn the service into a new advertising and revenue source for traditional radio, which is facing increasing competition from satellite radio and Internet Webcasts."

You know, I would be happier with plain old FM radio on my Smartphone. I don't need album art, concert dates, and other crap to display while I listen to the radio. Usually, I turn on the radio, because my hands and eye's are busy doing something else - like driving, walking, or even <gasp> working. Although, I try not to do the last one too much. I wish the manufacturers would stop and check with their customers to see if we actually want any of this junk that they are trying to force down on us. :roll: