Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson
Default Tablets Replacing Laptops? Three Requirements

http://www.thetechblock.com/article...to-replace-pcs/

"With features like LTE connectivity, ultra-high-resolution displays, and laptop-like processing power, tablets have made their way into tens of millions of homes, and they’ve done it seemingly overnight. But despite popularity that borders on ubiquity and specs that edge them ever closer to desktops, it’s a rare house where a tablet has replaced a full-fledged computer. Why is that? Why haven’t more people scrapped their PCs for the sleeker, cheaper tablets?"

Interesting opinions on what it'll take for tablets to (someday) replace laptops. Three basic requirements: more feedback from the tablet for tasks; quicker reflexes - tablet response on touch actions are about 8-10x slower than mouse and keyboard actions; split personality, or a watered-down experience - tablets need to run the processes that laptops run. An additional requirement is that tablets need to be seen as more than luxury devices. When I can pull out my iPad and truly edit an Excel spreadsheet, I'll consider that tablets have arrived.