¹ Protecting Your Smartphone Screen: The JavoScreen Review - Thoughts Media Forums

Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Protecting Your Smartphone Screen: The JavoScreen Review

User submitted image

Product Category: Screen Protector
Manufacturer: JavoEdge
Where to Buy: JavoEdge Website
Price: Individual $8.25 USD / Three Pack $21.04 USD
Supported Devices: O2 Xphone / Orange SPV E200 / Qtek 8080 / iMate Smartphone2

Pros:
  • Protects your screen from scratches;
  • Anti-Glare;
  • Smudge resistant.
Cons:
  • Doesn't cling at screen's edge.
Summary:
Screen protectors are nothing new. I remember applying them on my wife's Handspring Visor years ago. We quickly learned how valuable these can be, and when I got my iPAQ 3600, screen protection was one of the first accessories I purchased for it. For a PDA, screen protectors have become the norm, which is understandable since you're always touching the screen. While many Pocket PC owners use screen protectors, but for some, the decision is still up in the air. So what about on your mobile phone? There's no touch screen, or writing instruments to speak of. Do we really need protection on these devices? JAVOedge thinks we do, and they were nice enough to send me one of their JAVOedge screen protectors to test out.

Read on for my thoughts and impressions!

Getting Started
The JAVOScreen is designed for use on the following devices: Qtek 8080, iMate, iMate 2, Orange SPV e100/200, and the O2 xPhone. Since my phone falls into that list, I was able to slap one of these on and put it through its paces.

When I first opened the package, I was surprised to see that this looks and feels just like the screen protector for a Pocket PC, only smaller. Basically it's a small piece of ridged plastic that clings to the screen. I don't know why that surprised me. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of a first generation PDA screen protector. A more opaque piece of plastic that uses strong adhesive to stick on the screen.

Installation was pretty easy. In fact due to the smaller screen I found it easier than installing a screen protector on my Pocket PC. Once installed, the screen is a little duller, but still very readable.

User submitted image
Figure 1: Can you see the difference? Left side is without the JAVOScreen. Right side has the JAVOScreen installed.

More Than Just Scratch Protection
The screen protector will also help in keeping your screen smudge free. Putting any screen up against the side of your face will usually result in an oily smudge on the screen. I can’t say I know why or how it prevents this, but I haven’t seen a single smudge on the screen since I installed the screen protector.

Screen glare has been greatly reduced since installing the JAVOedge screen protector. While it’s not totally gone, it is much easier to view under various lighting conditions.

One of my concerns was how durable the protector would be, and if it would start to peel off under normal use. Since installing the protector I have subjected my phone to many different situations in hopes that the screen protector would come off. To date I have had no luck. The screen protector is still clinging tightly to the screen. I've had the phone in every place I could think of from my pants pocket to sitting on the dashboard of my car in the hot summer sun, and it hasn't even shifted its position.

The Perfect Design?
My experience with the JAVOedge JAVOScreen screen protector is not all roses. The edge of my screen is rounded a little. It’s not something you would notice in everyday use, but if you run your finger across the screen, you will feel a slight dip or curl in the screen just as it approaches the edge. Due to this, the left and right edges of the screen protector don’t stick down, leaving the protector to have what looks like a “bubble” at the edges. Of course, this is not JAVOedge's fault, and I imagine that there is nothing they can do to prevent this. Originally, I was concerned that dirt would get stuck under that edge, but that has not been the case.

User submitted image
Figure 2: If you look carefully along the left edge of the screen, you can see two bubbles. This is not something JAVOEdge has done, it's directly caused by the screen not being flat at the edges of the device.

Conclusions
Since Smartphones don’t have a touch screen, using a screen protector may seem a little weird at first, but it’s something that I have really enjoyed using. Especially the smudge and scratch resistance features. I strongly suggest you take a look at them. Personally, this screen protector will be going with me to my next phone, flip or not. I just hope it fits, or I’ll have to break out the scissors to trim it.