Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Mobile Operators

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
zeke009
Ponderer
Default Cingular Acquisition

ATTWS has this posted on their site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.attwireless.com/ocs/faq/cingularfaq.html
The Cingular Acquisition: Bigger Network, Better Coverage

Frequently asked questions about the Cingular Acquisition

Q: When will the deal close?
A: AT&T Wireless and Cingular are still two separate, completely independent companies. Approvals are still required from government agencies for the proposed deal to move forward.

Q: What will this mean for me as a customer?
A: Better coverage, more options for services and a better overall customer experience.

Q: Why shouldn't I go with Cingular now?
A: For now, AT&T Wireless is still an independent company with some of our best offers ever such as Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile minutes, Unlimited Nights & Weekends and Customers First on select plans.

Q: Will I now get roll over minutes and other promotions that Cingular offers?
A: Not at this time. However, in time, the combination of AT&T Wireless and Cingular will give you an even greater array of services, plans and phones from which to choose.

Q: What happens to my service?
A: For now, AT&T Wireless and Cingular are two separate companies. As a customer, you will continue to receive the same great service you have come to expect from AT&T Wireless.

Q: What will happen to my rate plan?
A: Rest assured, the terms of your contract will be honored.

Q: What do I get out of the deal?
A: Our customers are the biggest winners of all -
More high-quality coverage

More choices

More service
Q: Why does my phone read "Cingular" when I'm roaming?
A: We've already opened up some coverage areas with Cingular through our expanded roaming agreement. If you see "Cingular" on your phone, it means you're being covered by their network.

Q: I heard in the media that this deal may take months to close. Is there chance that my consumer service could be cut off during this time?
A: Let us assure you that we are not going to miss meeting our commitments to you regardless of the acquisition process.
I have 3 concerns about the merger and what it means for AT&T customers:
1) Quality of service: AT&T wasn't that bad in my area.... but not having Cingular in the MN area, I have no idea what to expect from them. Anyone have any experience?

2) Plan Variety & options

3) Device compatability: Does Cingular make use of SIM cards? Can an unlocked phone be brought to their network? I have seen more people mention using an unlocked phone in T-Mobile than any other network and I don't remember seeing Cingular mentioned once. In other words, I don't want to give up my smartphone because they don't have them in their product line.