Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Will 2012 Be The Year Of Windows Phone?

http://robtiffany.com/windows-phone...f-windows-phone

"So here we stand with the best smartphone operating system, best hardware, best development tools and the best mobile web browser. I'm certain that Windows Phone with its army of app developers, OEMs and Mobile Operator partners will be marching to victory this year."

Yes it will, says Rob Tiffany in his blog. How is he so sure? Well, he thinks it's a convergence of a number of factors that play well into Microsoft's hands. For instance, he believes that exciting new hardware options will entice customers from a handset perspective, and developers will be able to develop compelling new apps using Microsoft's effective development environment. Good points, and indeed these will be important factors. I think marketing, product positioning with both vendors and the public, and continual evolution of the reference hardware specs will be important too. Read through his blog and the drop over to our forums to let us know if you think 2012 will be "the" year for Windows Phone.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Waiting for the Lumia 900 hitting in March to take the plunge

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Brad touched on it, but I really think they need to consider adding an army of marketeers to that army of app developers, OEMs and Mobile Operator partners. With some exceptions, those last two catagories don't have a significant commitment in the success of the platform..they have plenty of other stuff to sell and derive revenue from.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Johannsen View Post
Brad touched on it, but I really think they need to consider adding an army of marketeers to that army of app developers, OEMs and Mobile Operator partners. With some exceptions, those last two catagories don't have a significant commitment in the success of the platform..they have plenty of other stuff to sell and derive revenue from.
Totally agree with Sven.. WP7 phones won't 'take off' until they are SEEN in the cellular providers' stores. Except for us geeks to want the latest and greatest from what we see on the internet, the vast majority of buyers simply look at what's available from the providers (at least here in NA).

Microsoft's challenge is to convince the cellular networks to have more than one WP7 phone on their list of available phones.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

And it looks like MS understand that without Carriers and OEMs support it has no chance to succed. That's why MS throw money first at Nokia and not it's AT&T time read the article: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Micro...models_id26311

Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
And it looks like MS understand that without Carriers and OEMs support it has no chance to succed. That's why MS throw money first at Nokia and not it's AT&T time read the article: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Micro...models_id26311
I guess bribes is one way to go, but we REALLY need (at least here in Canada) is PRODUCT IN THE STORES!

We need the cellular networks to actually buy-into and support WP7 phones on their networks. Then the OEMs will acquire the phones to sell in their stores!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Paragon
Magi

Yup, Sven has it right. The OEMs and carriers aren't fully behind this platform. It is not user friendly for them. They are dictated to as to what the hardware must be , how many buttons there can be, and what they must do. They are told when updates are done, and they must do them. They aren't allowed to change the interface in any way. There are simply too many obsticals in their way compared to an OS such as Android. Why use multiple devices with so many rules that must be followed to the letter when you have easier choices with fewer strings attached.

Lighten up Microsoft. You don't really have any OEMs willing to make the full commitment to your platform other than Nokia, and you are paying them 1 billion dollars a year to use your platform.

Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
They {OEMs} are dictated to as to what the hardware must be , how many buttons there can be, and what they must do. They are told when updates are done, and they must do them. They aren't allowed to change the interface in any way.
I'm not sure that has to be a problem. Sure, they can have more fun with Android, but that also dilutes the experience and complicates the engineering/manufacturing. If I could get everyone to buy Model A, why would I want to make three models to spread amongst the same buyers? Apple has done reasonably well with a single model. I think there is enough leeway for the OEMs to differentiate; keyboards, cameras, screen types, weight, battery life; to allow choice, without the 'fragmentation' that is hurting Android, and had a hand in killing Windows Mobile. Maybe I'm wrong here and they like churing out device after device. At least Nokia has shown you can apply some style to the problem.

So, what is the difference between Apple, which has one model (basically), Android which is sported on 26 models at AT&T alone and Windows Phone? Some people know they want an iPhone when they walk into the store. Same with a Droid (of whatever flavor). But what's a Microsoft phone? They make phones? Oh, a Windows Phone...I don't want that, I have Windows on my PC and it's too hard. Then you have to get passed the salespeople and store managers, that for whatever reason, don't seem to want to sell Windows Phones.

What needs to change is the perception, and that is marketing, pure and simple. You can debate forever on whether 'Windows' was the right label to saddle the device with. There are pro and con arguments, but that is what it is. I honestly don't know what the answer or approach should be, but getting the public to be aware of Windows Phone and what it provides is job one.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Mobile Opportunity has a nice article about WebOS. It has points that are related to WP7 (in fact, the comments section is pretty interesting too). http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...d-what-it.html

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Johannsen View Post
I'm not sure that has to be a problem. ..........................................What needs to change is the perception, and that is marketing,
Points well taken, Sven. I can't disagee with them. However the carriers seem to feel it is too much effort for them. I think you are right about the perception, and that's not something that Microsoft has ever put much into. They tend to put products out there telling everyone "This is what you want" and it sells. If not they yank it after a few attempts. Promoting a product has never been their strong suit.

Dave