Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Nokia Windows Phones

Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Hands On With The Nokia Lumia 900

http://blog.laptopmag.com/nokia-lum...ne-gets-serious

Laptopmag.com have a quick hands-on with the forthcoming US version of the Nokia Lumia 900, which will debut on AT&T's LTE network soon. The hardware's what you would expect from a Windows Phone 7 except for a nice, big 4.3" screen and 8MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens. Interested? I am.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Will be interesting to see if you can expand the memory, or at least get one with up to 64gb of storage.

While I wouldn't extend a contract for it, this looks like a fun device to have -- if WP7 had launched with something like this, it might have been successful. Maybe it'll help make WP7 show up on a marketshare infographic...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

My concern is that it uses iPhone style, micro SIM card. I would rather have a regular one, as I have to travel abroad quite often!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

[QUOTE=benjimen;767820]Will be interesting to see if you can expand the memory, or at least get one with up to 64gb of storage.

Most likely no. It seems to be spec'd with 16G, and the unibody appears to be 'sealed', so you can't add/replace a card (a hack in any case), or change the battery. Seems same with Titan II BTW, 16G, sealed battery. One step forward, two steps back, IMHO.

There is always that possibility that multiple storage capacity options will be available, but nothing has indicated anything like that, and there is really no precedence.

Storage capacity is one of the gripes that show up on the Windows Phone Blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_p.../windowsphone/). The fanboi reaction is 'you don't need no steenking storage, you have the cloud' [cue harp music, rainbows and unicorns]. And we all have ever present, unlimited wireless too...right.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Johannsen View Post
Storage capacity is one of the gripes that show up on the Windows Phone Blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_p.../windowsphone/). The fanboi reaction is 'you don't need no steenking storage, you have the cloud' [cue harp music, rainbows and unicorns]. And we all have ever present, unlimited wireless too...right.
Yea, what he said.

Seriously, if Windows Phone wants to compete with Android and iOS, then the OEMs are going to have to offer at least the option to purchase a 32gb (preferably 64) device, especially on these "high end" devices. Both and Android and iOS offer the cloud and devices with the extra memory AND both Google and Apple offer free cloud access to our OWN Music, unlike the $9.99/month Zune Pass. It's not competitive, and it's a joke that after 2 years vendors still don't get it. I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft charges a licensing premium for devices with more than 16 GB of storage to encourage Zune Pass use. There seems to be no other reasonable explanation...especially when you see Nokia, the supposed top-tier vendor, that at this point has no alternative, still release a device that is at the low-end of Apples device line-up, in terms of memory. Oh well, one more reason for me to continue waiting to buy my first WP7 device. While I've been waiting, I've probably purchased a half dozen Android devices. Microsoft, you keep missing out on a bunch of business, by not fully committing to this market!