¹ Phones That Decide When to Ring - Thoughts Media Forums

Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Phones That Decide When to Ring

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/008660.php

"We don't really see the need for either, but researchers at both Carnegie Mellon and the Human Media Lab at Queen's University in Canada are working on technology for phones that can sense when you're busy working or talking to someone and so won't ring and interrupt. Each works in a different way. The Human Media Lab system is a visual sensor that attaches to a desktop phone and figures out from your blinks and gazes whether you can take a call or not. Carnegie Mellon's SenSay is a combination of a light sensor, a motion detector, a microphone, and other sensors for cellphones which can guess what kind of environment you're in (say, a noisy garage) and then decide whether or not to put the call through or send back a text message saying you're indisposed..."

I don't know about this - it seems like the sheer number of variables would make it almost impossible to work effectively. How can it tell the difference between me sitting at my desk, available for a phone call, and sitting in a presentation? Both scenarios would have low-level ambient noise - I wonder how it would tell them apart?