Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Robert Levy
Philosopher
Default EXCLUSIVE: Smartphone from Chi Mei

Chi Mei Communication Systems, a company based in Taiwan which makes GSM/GPRS modules, is building a Smartphone device. Little is known about this device, but Smartphone Thoughts has acquired computer renderings of the hardware and uncovered a few details. Earlier this week we heard rumors that Chi Mei and Motorola were working together on a phone but we have not been able to confirm whether this is that device or if there even is such a partnership.

As a GSM clamshell device with an external display, this appears to be similar to the MiTAC Mio Smartphone with some key differences: no integrated camera, a USB connection for charging/syncing/accessories, an internal antenna, and a jog dial.

When the phone is flipped open, the jog dial is used to control the volume of the earpiece, speaker and headset, record voice notes and processes voice tags. When the phone is closed, the jog dial is used to reject an incoming call and scroll through current profile and next incoming appointment on the external display.

It appears that this will be the first Smartphone device to support "Voice Tags" which allow you to dial a number or launch a program using voice commands. It should be noted, however, that voice tags require training on a per-contact and per-application basies. This differs from the new VoiceDial application from Fonix which works with all of your contacts right away.

Chi Mei Communication System's sister company, Chi Mei Optoelectronics, is the second larget TFT LCD manufacturer in Taiwan. This gives us high hopes for the display quality on this device.

User submitted image
User submitted image

Old 07-23-2003, 06:27 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

two syllables - sa weet!

I like the fact that you can access information without opening the phone, which appears to be a limitation of the clamshell design. My cynicism doesn't inspire a release date anytime soon.

Oh accursed technolust - thou hath wounded me again!

Old 07-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Eric Lin
Pupil

JEEZ. YUM. and a jog dial!!!

Old 07-23-2003, 08:00 PM
MkollUK
Neophyte

No integrated camera seems a strange idea.

It's increasingly rare for any moderately high-end phones to be released without one.

Tom

Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Robert Levy
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkollUK

It's increasingly rare for any moderately high-end phones to be released without one.

Tom
Not really... we are seeing more and more places ban phones with cameras built in. After the novelty wears off, I think we'll see the market even out at around 60-70% of devices having cameras.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Chafic
Pupil

What I really like about the specs is the internal antenna. Does it have BT ??

Old 07-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Actually, I'll happily take longer battery life any day in favor of using the space for a half-baked camera.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Will
Neophyte
Default Photo's on MoDaCo.com

Photo's of this new smartphone have been published on MoDaCo. They comment on how it looks like the mystery device featured on the 'Orange Roadmap'

On the main page http://smartphone.modaco.com or
http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=87467

Will

Old 07-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Chronos
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zimmermann
Quote:
Actually, I'll happily take longer battery life any day in favor of using the space for a half-baked camera.
Agreed- and reduce the form factor at all costs (the Mio 8380 looks great w/ nice specs, but I don't know if I'd want it in my pocket).

Incorporate SM2003, minimize the size, enable SDIO, and maybe add bluetooth support and its a winner! A friend has a Samsung V200 and what a great little clamshell phone. A similar form factor (for a clamshell) and I'm in! :lol:

Old 07-23-2003, 10:01 PM
sebset
Pupil

This Smartphone will be sold in December 03 by Orange in UK and France. Wow! :P